Behringer Xenyx 2442FX: How to get 12 input channels into 8 output channels?

Zabriskie

We have a Behringer Xenyx 2442FX, which obviously has more than 8 input channels, but the digital-interface we use (zoom r16) only provides 8 channels for simultaneous recording (onto a mac, garageband).
I believe it must be possible though, to somehow route more than 8 input channels, for example 10 or 12 into 8 output channels.
instead of just using the 8 direct outputs to connect directly to the zoom r16, it should be possible to only use for example 6 direct outputs and additonally use for example 2x 2 additional inputs combined to two subgroups?
is there someone who knows how to do this?

to make a bit more clear, I list the input-output connections we have now and how I imagine it to be:

now:

input 1: voice 1 (left signal from voice effect pedal) -> direct output 1
input 2: voice 1 (right signal from voice effect pedal) -> direct output 2
input 3: bass -> direct output 3
input 4: guitar 1 -> direct output 4
input 5: guitar 2 -> direct output 5
input 6: bass drum -> direct output 6
input 7: overhead drum left -> direct output 7
input 8: overhead drum right -> direct output 8

what we would like to have:

input 1: voice 1 (left signal from voice effect pedal) -> combined output with input 2
input 2: voice 1 (right signal from voice effect pedal) -> combined output with input 1, so that input 1 and 2 only occupy 1 input of the interface (zoomr16) (which output? subgroup?)

input 3: bass -> direct output 3 (same as it was)
input 4: guitar 1 -> direct output 4 (same as it was)
input 5: guitar 2 -> direct output 5 (same as it was)
input 6: bass drum -> direct output 6 (same as it was)

input 7: overhead drum left -> combined output with input 8
input 8: overhead drum right -> combined output with input 7, so that input 7 and 8 only occupy 1 input of the interface (zoomr16) (which output? subgroup?)

this should give us two free inputs at the zoomr16, which could be occupied by:

input 9 (/10): additional voice -> which output? subgroup?
input 11/12: keyboard (using both L and R inputs) -> which output? subgroup?

i hope I'm being somewhat clear on the problem?!
thanks for any help!

This is just an idea, but would solve your problem rather easy. I would get another mixer for the drums and send the output of that to the board. Use two channels for left and right, get your sub mix set for the drums and send it. You could do the same for the guitars or the vocals, especially if the vocals are just background.

Others may have a better idea, but that would be a pretty simple approach.

This is just an idea, but would solve your problem rather easy. I would get another mixer for the drums and send the output of that to the board. Use two channels for left and right, get your sub mix set for the drums and send it. You could do the same for the guitars or the vocals, especially if the vocals are just background.

Others may have a better idea, but that would be a pretty simple approach.

Thanks a lot for your response.
What you are suggesting is probably what we have to do, if we don't find a way to make the connections with only the Xenyx 2442.
But I surely hope there is a "one-device-only"-solution, moneywise, but also because there seem to be so many options within the 2442 that I just can't believe that it's not possible!

Routing more of your inputs through the sends and they go to the Zoom is the only other option I see based on what I can find. Looks like each input on the mixer can be routed to send 1-2 and or 3-4. Group your guitars, say send 1-2, drums 3-4, but that leaves you only 4 channels for the zoom.

The board has good options, but your interface inputs become the issue. One thing for you to consider is, the Zoom can be chained together for 16 inputs, that will open up your options with the board.

Yes, that's what we would like to do, routing inputs to subgroups, but not like you suggest the guitars etc, but the way i initially listed above. Do you know technically how to do this? I know it's possible, but i don't know how to make the settings and the manual is not very detailed in this regard.

From what I could gather is the buttons on the bottom of each channel set them to a send group 1-2 and/or 3-4. But if you use the sends 1-4 to the Zoom, you loose 4 inputs.

Maybe somebody else knows better but here is how I see it:

Board Channels 1-4 to Zoom 1-4 - straight forward.

Everything else goes to either send 1-2 or 3-4

Send 1-2 to Zoom 5-6
Send 3-4 to Zoom 7-8

I only state that the send should be in pairs so when you record you still get a left/right for panning. You could try a few other options that might work for you, but as a started, that is how I see it.

Let's see if some others might have some ideas. It is a new post and there are many on the board that could share a different approach.

You have 4 sub groups on that board so take the direct outs for as many channels as you want (in this case 6). Take the rest of the inputs and assign them to the sub groups that you will be using (you have 4 but use as many as you need) and take them sub group outs and send that to your Zoom.

You could mix all of the drum mics into 1 sub group (2 if you want stereo drums).
Unless you need voice 1's effects to be stereo, I'd combine that into 1 track.

So that would be:
Direct Out Bass
Direct Out Guitar 1
Direct Out Guitar 2

Bass Drum > Sub 1
OH Left > Sub 1
OH Right > Sub 1

Vocal 1 Out 1 > Sub 2
Vocal 1 Out 2 > Sub 2

That's 5 tracks used, leaving 3.

I would recommend adding another R16 if you can. I was lucky and picked up 2 Zoom R24's for $200 each on craigslist. I take the direct outs from my board and send them to the R24's (which are linked together) for 16 tracks of simultaneous recording. I then take the files to my computer and mix them there. Much easier (for me).

Good luck.

Bill L

Back