Behringer Vx2000 Vs Focusrite Voicemaster

Behringer Ultra-Voice Pro vs Focusrite Voicemaster (original version)

• Behringer Ultra-Voice Pro

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Focusrite Voicemaster (original version)

Votes: 28 77.8%

• Total voters

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hi,

I know this topic was started before but no one has A/B the VX2000 & the Voicemaster .. all their functions (ie: mic pre, comp, tube, eq). I currently own the VX2000 and record to my TASCAM 424 mkIII with good results. I know some people dislike the tube emulation but when I crank the "tuning" knob all the way to the right and set "drive" to warm, my vocals really stand out with some nice presence. I also only tend to use the low cut filter along with the mic pre (of course) and that's about all. I rarely need to EQ when I do these. Anyway, I'm just wondering if someone here did an A/B of the 2 units, and all of its components, and can post the results. I'd really appreciate it. Actually, I'll start a poll here. Please post your results and reasons.

Thanks,

Daniel

cjacek

I tested the Voicemaster a couple of weeks ago and decided to buy the newer version Voicemaster Pro. Primarily because the preamp in both is the same but the de-esser has been greatly improved on the Pro. I thought the older version de-esser was just OK.

That said, if you use the effects loop on the original and run it out through an RNC, it is a thing of beauty. Very top end studio sound using a C-1 mic. The internal op compressor is very good too but more oriented for instruments than voice, which is why I tried looping out to the RNC.

For $200-250 on ebay, I think this is one of the best sounding preamps under $500. The RNP would be the other one, however I think the voicemaster is more versatile than the RNP if you want a variety of sounds. You can even get these new at GC for $250 as they have marked them down for clearance.

There is tubesat on the voicemaster so you still have that option. The unit is very clean sounding so occassional tube sat gives it some character.

I really liked the unit. On the downside, some of the modules are kinda lame but ignore them, the quality of the pre, compressor and tube sat are excellent and you have several shelving options for controlling the lo end. I give it a big thumbs up in value.

Last edited:
THANKS GUYS :)

I do hope, however, that this thread and poll will get a bit more replies and votes ;)

Daniel

C'mon man, Focusrite / Behringer? (Forget that Mercedies C class crap, I'm getting a top of the line Yugo!)
RD

The question here is moot, Behringer copied focusrite on this peice. Making it a moral question, rather than what sounds better. My advise is to get the behr and a decent mic with the 200.00 you save. You may burn in hell later but you can have a C1, or even a B2 ( which is a rebadged Rode NT2) for the same price.

But if money is no object, and morality is your thing, theres a deal on the Voicemaster with a Blue mic for 999.00 right now.

I own a Voicemaster and a V2000. I have A/B's the preamp section alone useing a few different mics (KSM32, AT4047, MLX57, SM58) on male and female voices, accoustic guitar and drums/percussion).

There was not enough of a difference between the sound of the units to even discuss. Certainly not enough to explain the cost variance.

Although I have used both units on several sessions (utilizing the various processing to various degrees) I've neve really A/B'd each section. Candidly, I am not patient enough or anal enough to spend the time. Nor do I beleive that I could accurately dial in each section in a way to assure an apple to apple comparison.

However, I feel the V2000 has compared very well to the Voicemaster in whichever application I have tried. Now the design and specs of the V2000 make it very evident that it is a Voicemaster clone (Behringer didn't even try to be subtle about it). I try not to get involved in moral/ethical concerns about Behringer's business practises, and I am not a Behringer basher. I own 5 of their products (I like th compressors and the headphone system works good enough for my needs).

I tend to use the Voicemaster nore often for three reasons: 1) Clients are more "impressed" with the Voicemaster (vs. the "cheap" Behringer product), 2) Since the Voicemaster is in the signal chain (for client projects) - it is easier to use it for my projects, and 3) I paid a lot more for the Voicemaster, so I need to justify the cost.

However, for a low budget home studio doing mostly vanity projecs (ie: no paying customers "demanding" name gear) I think the V2000 is a great value.

How I will qualify, that Behringer does have some QC issues, and maybe every unit ain't the same - but I'm reasonably impressed with my V2000.

I bought a VX 2000 long before I even knew it was a clone. I've had very good results with it. Its homerecording, right? For that, its perfect. Lots of features. Best bang for the buck preamp in its price range. You can tailor your sound very easily with this unit and it has an insert if you want to use an outboard compressor or EQ. Though I may burn in hell later, I'm keeping mine!

Its like I said, you will save 250.00 going with the Behringer. and another 150. on the B2. I have no trouble with that. Most of my clients Know Dick about equipment. You could spend 350.00 for the combo, which is the price of the Focusrite alone. or 800.00 for the rode with it.

junplugged said:
Is the Berry discontinued? Can't seem to find it, new model out maybe?

If you really want the "Berry" then here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23787&item=3735565041&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23793&item=3735550405&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

**The vx2000 is actually an OK product, when it works. I've had one many moons ago and back then thought it was good (a newbie). Compared to now, and my new found knowledge (LOL!! :D), I think the VX2000 is better suited to the ... well ... less discriminating or someone on a really tight budget ;) . When looking at what you get for the price, however, then it's a winner. :)

Daniel

I have a VX2000. It has it's uses. The right mic with this unit is important. a bright mic with this unit does not fair well, but a darker mic does. Just my opinion.

I really dig it on cutting BGV's. But for leads I currently use a MIC 2200. Alas I am adding the presonus gear (Eureka/MP20) and will decide wether I will rerack these elsewhere or sell them :)

They are very useful tools though. And when I do live remote recordings the VX gives my Beta 58's a nice sound. Plus the opto compressor does work well :) For the Money $130??/ Cnat beat it for usefulness and price.

Bryan Giles

IMHO, I think the VX2000 and the Voicemaster sound so much alike, that if you are considering which one to buy, buy the VX2000, if you can find one.

Back