Behringer MDX4400 or MDX2200?

El Barto

Hmmm, Musician's Friend has both of them at a $10 difference...what's the actual difference between these two units? The only one I really see is that the MSX4400 is 4 channel and MDX2200 is dual channel...is that it? And would you guys recommend this as a really good compressor? Ed has said this is a good one...anyone else? Recording Engineer?

thing is if you look closly at the front panel of the 2 or you read the specs you will notice that the 4400 does not have any limiters/gates. It does have 4 comp/lim's but zero gates. While the 2200 has 2 expander/gates, 2 lim's and 2 compressors...
also on the 2200 you have a sidechain to plug in other serial processors(IE: EQ).... which is nice.

I have the 2200 and I like it A LOT.... made my life so much easier.

oooops..... when I said that the 4400 doesn'tt have any limiters/gates... I meant it doesn't have any expanders/gates.. soorryy

i've used but do not own a 4400 and i liked it. it's not to be confused with a gold unit, but i think it's better than a 3630 which seems to be the defacto standard for those of us that don't live in $250k homes.

i'm considering buying 2 of the units. i don't use noise gates because it's better for me to edit the sound digitally. that way i'm sure not to have cut off a wave tail from a snare, vocal or acoustic guitar.

i have an old loft 210 that has expansion on it, but i rarely use it.

i think you should get the unit that best serves your needs. if you don't NEED the gates and expander, but you do record live bands then the 4400 is the way to go. if you mostly record just a track or two at a time, then the 2200 sound ideal.

i didn't know however, that the 4400 doesn't have sidechain. that's bad.

Back