Behringer or Mackie (HELP)

Robert Parent

My vote is for the Mackie. I own the smaller 1202-VLZ and it has worked very well for a couple years. The Behringer compressor I owned required shipment to Germany for warranty service. If you add that to the real cost of ownership their products are not so inexpensive. Mackie is built and serviced in the US which is a plus in my opinion.

I'm in the market for a small mixer. I'm looking at the Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO, vs the Behringer(s) MX1604A / MX2004A Eurorack mixers. I know the quality of Mackie because I've owned one of their mixers. I know nothing about Behringer, however I haven't heard anything really good in support of their product. Typically when Behringer is brought up I get people saying that they're "cheap knock-offs" of the "real thing", however I am impressed with the features their products offer. HELP!

INHO the Mackie is the better mixer. Mackie just sued Berringer and won for ripping off their designs. Now the Berringer compressors on the other hand look very appealing.

- Behringuer.

I know it is not a Mackie, but I really like the price and the 6 aux it has...

I know it can do it well with good mics, good cables and a GOOD sound enginner.

good recordings.

Sonusman is up on this mixer stuff. I have a
mackie 1604 which I am very happy with but I
have no ex. with other boards so cant make a
comparison. Sonusman among others says the preamps are junky and I take their word for it. From all I have read here at the site the
vote is in for Spirit boards (I think thats the name) when it comes to app. the same amount of money you are going to lay out for
the mackie. I would try and check back on some of sonusmans posts for more info on this.

I own a mackie 1202 and it has crummy trims.

I could recognize them out of a crowd for sure. Plus the trim control doesnt scale right esp when using more than one. I hear they fixed some trim stuff when the 1202VLZ newer model. They needed too.

A mixer for recording is going to be something you use so much that you really owe it to yourself to listen to someone who has owned many mixers rather than one and somebody who has really used lots buses and tracks at once ... Cuz you'll soon be that guy. So, learn from his mistakes.

I never said the pres on the mackies are crummy, if you read my post again you will see that I wrote I am happy with mine.

Thelonius - crummy trims in what way, and compared to what other mixer in the same price range?

Back