Behringer Eurodesk MX 9000 (help)

kylehughes1

Well, I've acquired a Behringer Eurodesk MX 9000 that's having problems. Its warranty is out (it isn't my warranty anyway), and every 10-20 minutes or so, it makes a "POP" and all the sound shuts off. The mute (and also I think solo) lights all turn on, but the signal lights stay off (as far as I remember, it's been a few weeks since I turned it on).

Anyway, I brought it home with me (given to me since it's currently useless), and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and what steps were taken to fix it. Again, it works fine for 15 minutes, but then it just freaks out and stops. It's worked for a number of years prior, but now it seems that it just wants to die (or Behringer wants me to buy another one...).

The rack behind it was very messy, but even after being cleaned up a little, it still "popped" and seized. Could it be a problem with a signal in a particular channel? I think at least one of the channels may be defective or blown, but I don't understand why, or if it could possibly cause this error.

Edit:
I'll mention that I've Googled for this error to no avail. The product manual says nothing, and I have yet to find anyone with this same problem.

Another EDIT:
I've just plugged it in, and after about 20 minutes, it freaked out. After power cycling it, it did it again after only 2 minutes. If I don't wait at least 30 seconds between power cycles, it does it immediately when turned on.

It is the peak and -20db LEDs that light up, not the solo/mute ones.

Could it be that the fuse is wrong?

Last edited:
I have one! your problem is the power supply is going out. If you can find a shop in your town that works on other recording equiment they can prombaly have it up and running in no time. Also there is a upgrade for that board from back in the 1990"s that was put out by the B people that will keep that from happening again.

If it does burst into flames...its good to have a homeowners policy...try to get them enough to pony up enough for an O2r or something.

I have one! your problem is the power supply is going out. If you can find a shop in your town that works on other recording equiment they can prombaly have it up and running in no time. Also there is a upgrade for that board from back in the 1990"s that was put out by the B people that will keep that from happening again.

Ha! Wonderful. Any idea how much a replacement power supply would (or should) cost? And what exactly does this "upgrade" entail? A modification to the board or power supply? And do you know if Behringer would do it free (like a recall kind of fix)?

Thanks for the help!

I have one where channels were dropping out on me. The issue with those is that the +/- 17v rail voltage regulators from Behringer were only rated at 3a, but the board needs alittle more than that. The OP amps are rated at 18v and the output voltage of the transformer (with the voltage regulator shorted) is 18v... so any variation in voltage at all and your issues begin. Needless to say even after I upgraded the LM350's to the 5a variation (LM338T's) most of the channels came back, but I still have 9 dead ones. I tore it apart with the intent of fixing them but have yet to do so. I went out and bought a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro used for cheap to have a temporary replacement. Since the Mackie has been working out well enough I haven't had the motivation to fix the Behringer yet.

Well I got mine back in 1995 when they first came out, it has been in the shop ywo times, both times being for the power supply. The first time I had the power supply moded, the second time was for a blown switch. I don't know I must have got one of the better one's?

Well I got mine back in 1995 when they first came out, it has been in the shop ywo times, both times being for the power supply. The first time I had the power supply moded, the second time was for a blown switch. I don't know I must have got one of the better one's?

You have an MX8000 that was made in Germany. Those are actually good boards. The MX9000 is made in China. The 9000 uses cheap parts and are not built to last.

This ^^^^^^^

I have had the exact same problem in the past with a Soundcraft. Replaced the power supply and no more problem.

I have one where channels were dropping out on me. The issue with those is that the +/- 17v rail voltage regulators from Behringer were only rated at 3a, but the board needs alittle more than that. The OP amps are rated at 18v and the output voltage of the transformer (with the voltage regulator shorted) is 18v... so any variation in voltage at all and your issues begin. Needless to say even after I upgraded the LM350's to the 5a variation (LM338T's) most of the channels came back, but I still have 9 dead ones. I tore it apart with the intent of fixing them but have yet to do so. I went out and bought a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro used for cheap to have a temporary replacement. Since the Mackie has been working out well enough I haven't had the motivation to fix the Behringer yet.
Yes, I suppose that would explain why mine was free of problems for a good solid 20 hours or so after I turned off phantom power. I suppose I'll make a futile phone call to Behringer, then find someone local that can diagnose and fix the exact problem in the power supply.

"Mackie: Well, it's better than Behringer."

Back