Behringer Composer Pro 2200

PhilLondon

It seems I have an opportunity to buy one of these for £20! They're about £100 new.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may99/articles/behcomposer.htm

The thing is, I'm new to all of this. I am learning a lot and I wonder if having a compressor to put the vocals through before it hits my DAW for £20 would make things a lot easier in terms of balancing the vocals before I automate them.

It's not a big hit at all, but do I need it? Thoughts?

1 The Composer is reckoned to be a pretty reasonable bit of gear. If it works, £20 is a good price.

2 It is, however, expecting a line level input, so it needs a mixer, preamp or an insert on an interface between mike and it.

3 Having a compressor would help tame vocals as you record them, but that's not usually the worst problem of recording, and once you've applied it, you can't un-apply it.

4 Personally, I'd give it a miss and save the money for something that is going to benefit you more.

I would record with compression only if the singer is way too dynamic, or have a different sound for the verses and chorus, making the chorus deliberately more aggressive and compressed, this can work sometimes.

Back