behringer autocom

chuzzrocket

I have a 4track project studio and picked up the autocom for ridiculously cheap money, $119 new. thank god the dollar is so strong, because we can pick up the european stuff for short bread.

Questions:

1) I find that the expander has very little effect on the overall sound when using the compressor. now, i just got this thing and i'm not expecting that the sound turns into a foo fighters record or something, but could someone explain how to balance off compression vs. the expander.

2) With compressors in general, what are typical setting you'd use to mix down ? I mix down to a minidisc player and have a Tascam 414. should I run the mix straight thru the autocom, or run it as an effects send return thing, coming back thru channel 5/6 or 7/8 ? But again, what are typical settings to use for that final mix down to give it as much gloss as possible ?

thanks in advance. And to all you guys who understand and answer the compressor questions, it's appreciated, because compression is smoke and mirrors to me.

I don't really know the specifics of the autocomp; but I would think running this through the send/return loop is the way to go. You may not want to compress every track, but rather select the tracks that truly need compression.
As far as a rundown of compression, you might want to check out 'yelp' in this same BBS section, it pretty much summarizes what you should keep in mind. Lastly, mess with the knobs and listen to your results-you may come across something that works and you really like.
Good luck.
Tim

I don't really know the specifics of the autocomp; but I would think running this through the send/return loop is the way to go. You may not want to compress every track, but rather select the tracks that truly need compression.
As far as a rundown of compression, you might want to check out 'yelp' in this same BBS section, it pretty much summarizes what you should keep in mind. Lastly, mess with the knobs and listen to your results-you may come across something that works and you really like.
Good luck.
Tim

Back