Behringer is at it again...

alternatives to behringer?

I've decided to avoid Behringer gear after reading this thread, but now I'm in need of an alternative supplier of a channel splitter. Here's the behringer model I was looking at:

http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=MX882&lang=eng

I looked around a bit and found the Multi DI at http://www.etekaudio.com/, but it's not really what I want. The Behringer one is pretty much perfect. I assume the ultralink pro might be a knock-off of something another company makes as well, but I need some help figuring out what other company that might be.

Thanks for any help!
Dallas

OK. We know about the cable tester and the Mackie mixer. I just compared the UltraVoice Pro with the Focusrite Voicemaster, and it indeed looks like we can add this product to the list. Feature for feature, they are the same. Makes me wonder what the Composer compressor is a knock off of. Does anybody know of any others? If this is the standard practice of Behringer, there must be quite a few other examples.

... so that you don't boost their sales and profit (just in case somebody was wondering ;) )

I'm all for trying to get Behringer to follow the narrow path, but I still dont think the ECM8000 is an example of theft. Nothing Earthworks makes is even remotely similar, looks or performance wise. In that case it would rather be Earthworks who knocked B&K off. :)

Anyway, lets give Behringer a hard time, and see what sort of power a BBS such as this one can have! :D

BasPer said:
Anyway, lets give Behringer a hard time, and see what sort of power a BBS such as this one can have! :D

Update:

This has been circulated to 22 BB's to my knowledge, and probably farther than that.

At least one music magazine in the UK has been alerted and may do an article.

over 400 e-mails to Behringer - at least 50 to Musician's Friend.

I've contacted all my representatives on the state and federal level.

At least 15 local shops that carry Behringer around the globe have been contacted.

We're getting the message out. Now it's a matter of whether they'll hear....

crawdad said:
OK. We know about the cable tester and the Mackie mixer. I just compared the UltraVoice Pro with the Focusrite Voicemaster, and it indeed looks like we can add this product to the list. Feature for feature, they are the same. Makes me wonder what the Composer compressor is a knock off of. Does anybody know of any others? If this is the standard practice of Behringer, there must be quite a few other examples.

Don't remember right offhand what the Behringer product was, but Aphex sued them for ripping their Exciter circuit.

My bet is that the Autocom 1200 and 1400 came from a dBx design.

There's plenty more, I'm sure.

The Behringer Eurorack 3242 is a clever combination of the Mackie 1604 and the Allen and Heath Mixwizard 16:2. It goes as far as to allow internal re-routing almost exactly like the A&H. Yet because it is based on both designs, it would be hard to call it a direct rip-off of either.

The Autocom Pro and the Composer Pro are almost exact steals from two Drawmer models, the DL251 Spectral Compressor and the DL241 Auto Compressor. Unlike the Ebtech case, they look different. However, the buttons and internals are identical enough to give pause. However, the Ebtech is the first exact duplicate I've seen Behringer do. I'm sure it's just because Ebtech is such a small company that they think they can get away with it. And they are, which is no surprise; no one wants to fight an intellectual copyright case in a foreign country.

This has been going on for a long time. I remember when the Drawmer controversy was a big deal. But people forgot, and people keep buying their stuff. Although I wish you luck in your boycott, I can't really join the boycott in any sort of good faith, since I've never bought Behringer and I never would.

Does this bother me, well yes.

What I find amazing is that Behringer has simply adopted a "Napster" mindset. Intellectual property is considered "public domain" to be copied and distributed with total disregard of copyrights. I have to wonder if anyone offended by Behringer's actions is freely trading copyrighted music via the internet. If so you are guilty of the same practice.

OK off my momentary soapbox.

I read a recent article in Radio World (a radio engineer periodicle) that one of Behringers voice processors is VERY similar to a Symetrix model. Sorry I do not remember model numbers, it may have been the Symetrix 528e.

Vx2000 is a copy of a focusrite Voice master, Ecm8000s are a copy of the earthworks mics (and they look exactly like them),Mixers are like the mackies etc...

While we are at it lets go after them for the B2 which is a Rode Nt2< Truth monitors that look exactly like Genelecs, V amps that Act like line 6 gear.

Dont forget about Phonic, they even copied the Alesis 3630, or Tascam and Alesis for stealing the design for the HD24. Shit things all over are like this and we wont be able to change things without maybe blowing up a factory or Bombing thier country.

So I urge all of you to write your congressman and maybe soon there will be an airstrike to rid the world of them. (wait till after I buy that Focusrite pre copy).

Wayne:rolleyes:

FenderTL5 said:
Does this bother me, well yes.

What I find amazing is that Behringer has simply adopted a "Napster" mindset. Intellectual property is considered "public domain" to be copied and distributed with total disregard of copyrights. I have to wonder if anyone offended by Behringer's actions is freely trading copyrighted music via the internet. If so you are guilty of the same practice.

OK off my momentary soapbox.

I read a recent article in Radio World (a radio engineer periodicle) that one of Behringers voice processors is VERY similar to a Symetrix model. Sorry I do not remember model numbers, it may have been the Symetrix 528e.

I can say without the slightest twinge of guilt that I never once used napster, and the closest I ever came to "trading copyrighted music" online was go to OLGA for tablature for tracks I couldn't figure out on my own.

Jim Marshall reverse engineered a Fender Bassman and called it the JTM-45.
Marshall Amplification was born.
I will not boycott Marshall.
How many companies put out their own versions of Fender P or J basses?
Boycott Sodowsky(sp), Ibanez, Modulus...?
How many companies put out their versions of the Fender Strat or Gibson LesPaul?
Remember Hondo?
Boycott Fernandes?
Microsoft?
Wait a minute.
(Windows 95 was an original idea..)
;)
If you only buy from companies with original ideas, it will be a short list.
A very high priced short list.
Let the marketplace decide.
Peace.
Carmen
:)

I want to clarify my earlier post, (I tried to edit but it had "timed out")

The Behringer product reviewed in Radio World (March 1, 2002) was the Behringer VX2000 Ultra-Voice Pro. It was being compared to the Symetrix 528 because they are used in similar applications NOT because it is a design copy.

FWIW:
The review summery was;

Thumbs UP for
Well constructed with quality componants
Larger than life vocal compression
Simple panel
Extremely inexpensive

Thumbs Down for
limited EQ
What to do with the tube emulation stage?

Ed

Behringer DSP2024

I'm quite happy with my Behringer MX1604A mixer. It's ultra low noise and rock solid. The power supply alone is worth it. It's high quality, and serves my purposes, at an affordable price.

I just got the Behringer DSP2024 at the beginning of this week. So far, I love it. It's got an incredible amount of flexibility and 71 different effects algorithms. I got it for 154$ cash, cheaper than some single effect pedals. It's build sturdy, nothing exposed, it's light weight, and I haven't seen any effects processors with a comparable variety of effects. It's also got 100 presets and 100 user patches. I especially love the distortions and the ring mod. I haven't figured out the sampler or vocoder yet, so I can't comment on them. It's extremely easy to use also.

I think it's of original design, but if not, could someone show me something similar?

peaz

you've got it already so don't start feeling bad about it ... but maybe consider NOT buying Behringer gear for the foreseeable future. Or send an email to Uli Behrniger personally (which I did), point him to the cable tester issue, give him a link to this thread and tell him to expect negative customer reactions.

While we are at it lets go after them for the B2 which is a Rode Nt2

Actually, both the Behringer B-1 and B-2 are off-the-shelf 797 Audio mikes. Rode gets the NT2 body, grille, and capsule from 797 Audio in Beijing. The B-2 happens to have the same body and maybe the capsule as the ones 797 sells to Rode. Rode does their own electronics, however. The B-1 and B-2 have standard 797 guts.

Those are about the only 2 Behringer products that aren't designs they ripped off.

TP

Back