Behringer ADA8000 - stinky or not?

Strryder said:
I use a wordclock connection from the 828mkII (master) to the ADA-8000 (slave), so far I have only used the ADA-8000 for it's inputs, so I only have one lightpipe connection and the wordclock connection.

I know the 828mkII has adat lightpipe in - but it's only got one. When you're at 96khz, that limits it to 4 channels in, right? I know in this particular post, the ADA8k only goes to 48khz, but I'm debating replacing my 828mkII which fried some time ago and weighing the pros/cons.

NeoMagick said:
Then I don't know why, but started another test right away in the same condition, but this time I put the ADA8000 as Master, and started recording ....
Well, what a difference !!??!? It had more punch, it became warmer, the basses were better, the whole definition of the sound in general...
what a relief ! I even don't know which one I like best now
But now the ADA8000 is a good alternative. '

Generally, a converter should work best using its internal clock. Dan Lavry has written lots about that. And there have been lots of arguments about the merits of quality external clocks, but nobody has suggested that using an average external clock is better than using an average internal clock.

If I recall correctly, the Behri uses Wavefront chips, which are the last generation of 24 bit Alesis chips, the same as the Alesis AI3 used. So there is no reason that the Behri would be horrible.

Well if anyone cares I had one and really liked it, just sold it because I'm going from PC to Mac and getting a FirePod that has the pre's and converters in one box.

Pretty clean, low noise, not outstanding sound quality, but not enough to hold back your average home-rec'er. I look at it this way: is it my preamp/converter that's making the biggest difference or my lack of experience in tracking? Probably the latter.

I wish they would have used combo XLR-1/4" jacks on the back though...I had to make a set of patch cables to use the analog outs with my mixer. Not a biggie, but took a few hours to solder together and maybe $40 in parts.

I bought one yesterday and hooked it up to my Digi001 today... I can't complain about it... It was easy to hook up, it worked...and gave me 8 more inputs for $200.00... Not much to complain about...

Well, I know that this is an old reurrected thread, and I don't know if charger is still around, but- check this out-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=391238

For about $45, there's your ADAT and analog outs. Send one ADAT out to Digi002 or whatever controller you got, and the other to the ADAT in on the ADA8000, and you're good to go.

And as far as the unit goes, I agree with the above people. It's adequate, not great, for adding 8 channels by ADAT. No, I don't try to power an SM7B with the pres in this thing, but I use it when I need additional drum channels and for certain radio play applications where I run short of channels for simultaneous voiceovers. It has done exactly what I bought it for, and hasn't given me any trouble.-Richie

Back