Behringer ADA8000 as a mic preamp?

LDS

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an ADA8000 to be able to add 8 channels to my MOTU 2408. I understand the pros and cons of using it in that fashion. Basically I'm only going to use it in situations where someone wants, for example, an insane number of mics on the drums for recording 'live' scratch tracks.

Since it will only be used intermittently, I was wondering if I could also use it as a mic pre for my mobile system. I currently use a Tascam 1641 and would like to be able to use the Behringer to act as a preamp to feed the six available line inputs in instances where more than 8 mics are required.

My question is, does the Behringer automatically route the signals from the pres to the line outs, or do I have to loop it through the toslink? And if so, has anyone done this and does it introduce a significant amount of latency?

I have four ADA8000 units I use as additional inputs (for live work) to a Yamaha digital mixer. As far as I know, the line outs only relay the ADAT input to the ADA8000, not the mic pre amp outputs. I'll double check this next time I plug one in though.

I've never had any latency problems with the ADA8000s though that would obviously depend a bit on what you're routing the ADAT through.

Be aware that the mic pres are only "okay" and can get pretty noisy if you turn the gain up about about the 3 o'clock position. I use them mainly with radio mics which have a line level output.

Bob

Thanks, Bobbsy!

I'd read in another thread that it was possible to just loop the ADAT out to the ADAT in to use it as a preamp. It makes sense that it should work, I was wondering if that would introduce latency and if anyone had tried it. I'm on a pretty tight budget right now and just trying to make every dollar spent do as many jobs as possible, LOL!

It's almost midnight here but if you haven't got a definitive answer from anyone else by my morning I'll fire one up and try the loop idea (and have a listen for any latency--but I suspect we're talking a few milliseconds, i.e. negligible).

Bob

Thanks again, Bobbsy!

I'm extremely interested in what you may be able to find out, and would be highly appreciative of the effort.

A friend just texted that he found a MOTU 2408 MKII at a local pawn shop for a ridiculously low price, I may go check that out in a few minutes. Not usable with my mobile rig, but bang-for-the-buck would be the best investment for the home studio.

Yes you can loop the ADAT to provide an analogue output from the analogue input. Latency isn't an issue as much as quality as you're sending the signal through an additional two levels of conversion. But for your application, it should b fine.

And I've done nothing but praise the MOTU 2408 on these forums as a great front end/swiss army knife for the quality handling any format of audio in a studio, but in your instance, it may not be what you're looking for... No preamps at all...

Thanks!!!

I've had the 2408 for years and years and absolutely love it. The mixer I use (older Alesis Studio 32) is perfect for a couple of 2408s, and still allows me to do OTB mixdown if I want. Used to do that a lot when I first switched from tape, but now pretty much everything is ITB.

Now I just have to weigh the collateral benefit (pre for mobile recording) of the additional 2408 against the Behringer. I'm thinking that once I weigh the costs of building/buying XLR to TRS cables to use with the mobile rig that the best thing might be to pick up the 2408 and/or save up for one of the Presonus Digimax D8 units. That way I'll have 16 channels of higher quality expandable to 24 at home as well as the mic pres to use mobile. I dunno. Heading out in a few to scope out the MOTU at the pawn shop...

The preamp inputs can be routed to the xlr outputs but only by connecting the Toslink out to the Toslink in with a lightpipe cable. If you do it this way, you will no longer be able to also use the Toslink out to send the 8 tracks to your yamaha. Reason being is the ada8000 pres are routed directly to the ADAT out, just like the adat in is routed directly to the XLR outs. There is no way around this unfortunately... So either you HAVE to use it as an interface input or you HAVE to use it as a simple preamp in -> XLR out for live mic preamping.

And TBH, the pre's in it suck. They'll do if you really need them. I recommend that you just keep the gain on the ADA8000 all the way down and use higher end pres and just use the ADA as 8 line inputs.

Reactions: LDS
The 2408 has been the "glue" in my studio for years now... two Tascam digital boards in through TDIF, ADAT to the Mackie SDR hard-disk recorder, analogue in for direct patch of preamp outputs, and SPDIF for the digital out on effect boxes... all at a stupid low price for the MK II... and I actually prefer the lack of preamps on the interface

Okay. Although you've had your answer elsewhere, I did the experiment with an ADA8000 this morning.

Confirmed that, without the ADAT loop back there's no ouput on the Line Out sockets.

Confirmed that, with the TOSLINK installed to loop the ADAT back there is a line level output there. You have to set the Sync switch to "master" but that's not a problem.

Latency, by some rough and ready reckoning is about 4ms, i.e. not an issue. (I just recorded the output of two identical mics, one direct into my system and one via the ADA8000 loop then counted samples for the difference--not a perfect method but probably close enough.)

Now the bad news: I found the noise floor working this way objectionable. As I mentioned previously, the mic pres can get noise if you turn up the gain but adding two trips via the Behringer A to D then D to A seems to add even more noise--it was present even when I disconnected the mic and turned the pre right down.

It MIGHT be acceptable for live work, but I suggest you try to find a way to get a listen before committing your money.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Reactions: LDS
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the way people in the community here share their knowledge and experience.

kinofpain - I understand what you're saying. The idea was to occasionally use the ADA8000 just for preamps in case I ran out of mic inputs at a live recording session. That would have been a collateral benefit. The interface I use for that is a TASCAM US-1641. The only Yamahas I currently have are some motorcycles, a drum kit and a really old practice amp. The main use would be to expand my MOTU 2408 MKII in my home studio.

MOFO - I know what you mean about the 2408. I've had mine for about ten years or so and never found it wanting except for inputs. I fixed that problem today, though. I picked up another 2408 MKII off of Craigslist and spent all evening (and evidently a good part of the night, LOL) re-racking and re-patching stuff. I now have 16 channels of MOTU I/O goodness here at the house!

Bobbsy - Thanks for your help! That was really awesome of you to go to all of that trouble for someone you've never met. I've yet to meet or interact with anyone from Australia who wasn't exceptionally friedly and helpful. I need to make it down there some day! One of the items on my Bucket List is to race at the Phillip Island track.

So, I have the extra channels I needed for the home studio, and more than likely will go ahead and save up for something like a Presonus Digimax in the near future to address additional channels for the mobile setup and have the capability to go up to 24 here at home as a collateral benefit.

Again, thanks everyone!!!

Aww, that makes me sad - I have the ADA800 and as already stated, the gain/pres are really not that great (but ALSO by my calculation, better than zilch ;) ), but I wonder if there's a way to solder in a direct connection....

Unless the A/D happens at non line levels (like perhaps at lower levels which may be allow for a cheaper design)? :confused:

Some friday night after rebuying more of my stolen toolset I shall investigate. :cool:

...I wonder if there's a way to solder in a direct connection....
Well, you'd want to be able to switch the direct connection on and off, I'd think. Probably more trouble and expense than it's worth.

Well, you'd want to be able to switch the direct connection on and off, I'd think. Probably more trouble and expense than it's worth.

That assumes that my actions make sense...;)

I'd be more worried about the noise that kind of switch might add, on top of the noise floor the mic pre already has.

Hi all. I have ADA8000 and now suddenly it's broken. I think the clock is broken so my question is: Where can I buy clock and can I upgrade by buying better clock? :)
Or... can anyone sell me one pieces.......... :)

Best regards, GiRa

Hi all. I have ADA8000 and now suddenly it's broken. I think the clock is broken so my question is: Where can I buy clock and can I upgrade by buying better clock? :)
Or... can anyone sell me one pieces.......... :)

Best regards, GiRa

This thread is 4 years old, I would start a new thread and ask the question, you will get a better response.

Alan.

holy thread resurrection.jpg

Iknow it is an old thread but the new ADA8200 is said to be better in most ways including the pre amps.

There is still no direct output however. I did look over the schematic a year or so ago and it did not seem too onerous a task to fit 4 NEE5532s and have impedance balanced outs?

Mind you it would be wise on the older model to look to some extra cooling/sinking especially if you are bolting on extra chips!

Dave.

"Tout" being the operative word. They are long on subjective comparisons (by themselves!) short on lab results or A/B clips AFAICT.

In any event the TL0 series of op amps are already more than "fast" enough, with a slew rate of 13V/mu Sec they have about 3 times the speed necessary for audio purposes.
No mention was made of noise reduction that I could see? Changing the chips will do diddly. Changing the front end transistors would, a bit but really it is the resistances that cause the noise and changing those would mean a new design.

If I were going to drop nearly 1/2 a grand on a useful but hardly high end product I should want a bit more than subjective impressions!

Dave.

"Tout" being the operative word. They are long on subjective comparisons (by themselves!) short on lab results or A/B clips AFAICT.

In any event the TL0 series of op amps are already more than "fast" enough, with a slew rate of 13V/mu Sec they have about 3 times the speed necessary for audio purposes.
No mention was made of noise reduction that I could see? Changing the chips will do diddly. Changing the front end transistors would, a bit but really it is the resistances that cause the noise and changing those would mean a new design.

If I were going to drop nearly 1/2 a grand on a useful but hardly high end product I should want a bit more than subjective impressions!

Dave.

Agreed---"tout" is the operant. Caveat Emptor. Pricewise, I suspect the new version of the ADA would have an audible improvement based on it's preamp lineage, although it appears to have retained the same routing limitation of the original.

Paj
8 ^)

Back