BBE 482 vs Behringer Ultramizer Pro

Ray J

I've noticed both of these units priced at $199. Can anyone share an opinion on either unit or both? I will be using it for mixdown, I have an all Hardware setup. I've seen some bad run on the BBE somewhere on this site before, but, these are about the only units in my price range. Any past expiriences will be helpful.....Thanks ...Ray J

Thanks for responding. This is good to know. I don't want to regret getting one. I've heard a few good things about the Behringer from one of the local sound engineers. But its hard to find a used one. Thanks again............Ray J

I have the BBE unit. I wouldn't master thru it unless you master to cassette. otherwise you'll end up with something you won't like. shrill and brittle.

I own 2 BBE's; the 362NR and the 862,the latter is used in my bass guitar rig.I don't know about the other products you mentioned,but I find that BBE works best if you keep the controls at or near 12:00.The key word is subtelty.BBE isn't really intended as an effect,but rather to help compensate for loudspeaker deficiencies.Cheers!

Virtual ray is right on. If you get carried away with it you can really mangle something. I use mine on individual tracks sometimes to brighten up stuff.

Thanks fellas, Track Rat - thanks for the input on the Aphex, there are not too many people where I live that are into home recording, but I do know someone with an aphex...C2 or something. I may listen to it and get his opinion.

Virtual.ray- what do you use the 362 for?

Hi! I bought the 362NR to use with a QuadraSynth by Alesis 'cause I dug a lot of the synth's sounds but the output is noisy.The 362NR has a gentle downward expander in addition to a ganged stereo BBE processor.It works pretty well in this application.I also sometimes use it for mixdown to minidisc.I really wish they(BBE) would make a unit with S/PDIF ins and outs so we could bask in that BBE sheen without leaving the digital domain.I called them about 18 months ago when I got my VS880EX and they said they had no plans to market such a product at the time.I also Emailed Roland to see about them getting together with BBE to have a BBE processor available as an FX algorythm; no response...Remember that rash of AIWA boom boxes about a year ago at Best Buy/Circuit City that had BBEs installed in 'em? that's where I got the idea.

Back