based on my music, recommendations for vocal preamp?

dastig

hey all, my first post here. I'm looking to upgrade my vocal preamp from a Presonus TubePRE. Can any of y'all suggest one that would sound good on my type of voice/style of vocals?

the track is called "Every Song Reminds Me of You":
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/fifthsoul_music.htm

Current equipment: Studio Projects C1 to Presonus TubePRE to COMP16 to M-audio audiophile 2496. I am on a considerably limited budget (isn't everyone), and was considering just getting a RANE Ms1b for super-clean signal that i can process later.. but then ppl got me thinking about getting a tube pre-amp like the Brick or the new ElectroHarmonix one, or a more colored one like the Joemeek ThreeQ.

It would ONLY be used for vocal recording.. so if anyone has recording experience with my type of vocal or similar, could you recommend a pre-amp that would suit me well??? thanks!!

I don't own the brick, but have heard and read only excellent things about it. I own the safesound p1 which I love and definitely recommend.

The song sounded nice, I like how the vocal and instruments sounded and the actual playing, but the drums seemed to be clipping or something although the playing on the drums was also nice too... How did you record the drums?
The song reminded me of the kind of song that would be in a movie soundtrack for some reason...
There are a lot of options, but I am happy I went with the safesound.
evt :)

ok, thanks for the recommend, i'll check out safesound for sure.

thanks for the comments about the music, the drums are actually a VSTi called BFD, I didn't record them myself, only programmed them. The drums might sound like they're clipping (i hope they're not) cuz i put a ton of compression on the snare and kick.

anyone else have any suggestions on a pre-amp that would suit me?

Just wanted to put a vote in for the ThreeQ, it's certainly a big bang for the buck and I'm suprised that more around here aren't using it. The pre itself is clean, and relatively uncolored until the Comp and or EQ are added into the signal, which makes it all the more flexible IMHO.

Back