balanced and unbalanced, AGAIN......

raigan

hi,
sorry to keep bringing up the whole bal/unbal thing, but i've spent two days searching the internet, and i still haven't figured out how i'm going to set everything up... people love talking about balance vs. unbalanced, but what i need to know is this:
i have a studio quad -- apparently it has balanced (TRS) ins and outs. how do i go about connecting this with the rest of my gear (in a patchbay)? i know i'll need a balanced patchbay, this is no problem (i was told balanced patchbays work fine with unbalanced signals)... the prob. is can i send unbalanced signals straight into the quad, and can i send the balanced output from the quad into an unbalanced input? (as far as i understand the former may be possible but the latter is not) i've really looked hard trying to find an answer, but noone seems to be able to tell me what i'll have to do to make it work... so if anyone knows, please PLEASE let me know, cause i'm totally stuck.
thanks
raigan

"...can i send unbalanced signals straight into the quad..."

Yes.

"...can i send the balanced output from the
quad into an unbalanced input?"

Not without using transformers.

"...(as far as i understand the former may be possible but the latter is not)..."

You understand correctly.

Go here http://recordist.com/rap-faq/current and read away...

"...can i send unbalanced signals straight into the quad..."

Remember you can't with microphone-levels signals without a transformer; line-level it's fine though; most of the time. In your case, it is; and without making special cables either.

Back