Balanced patchbays or unbalanced patchbay?

Reg3n

hmm guys sorry, i;m kinda confused about the balanced and unbalanced thing.

I understand that TRS can be balanced or unbalanced depending whether the hardware uses it as a stereo TRS or a balanced signal. For a mixer insert that uses a single TRS jack would mean it is unbalanced.

For patchbays, if im not wrong there are such things as balanced and unbalanced patchbays right? how do I determine which should i use and does it matter to differentiate? If I just use balanced patchbays and i patch in an unbalanced line, does it matter? :confused:

I can't see that an unbalanced line in a balanced patchbay would cause you problems. I think you'd want to have a balanced one no matter what, because an unbalanced one anywhere in the chain would pretty much nix any benefit you'd get from using balanced lines in the first place

In a majority of cases a balanced patch bay will handle balanced and unbalanced patches with no problems... The cost of a balanced and unbalanced bay is negligible. For special considerations patching between a balanced and unbalanced source and destination you'll have to consult the documentation of both units

Get the balanced...

I had this same question a couple months ago. 80% of my gear is balance (TRS), so I went with a DBX PB48 $129 from Sweetwater. I love it. It is easy to set it up as either normalized or de-normalized. Un-balance lines work just fine are mixing is not a issue.

Dan

I have a balanced Nuetrix patch bay, and the only difference I can tell when putting in a unbalanced line is the volume of the channel that is patched in to seems to be a "little" less with the unbalanced line. I really can't tell if the balanced line is cleaner. All my gear is balanced, so I keep it balanced. btw the Nuetrix is a killer patchbay, and only around $50.

For patchbays, if im not wrong there are such things as balanced and unbalanced patchbays right? how do I determine which should i use and does it matter to differentiate? If I just use balanced patchbays and i patch in an unbalanced line, does it matter? :confused:

Get the balanced bay. You can use unbalanced gear through it no problem.

You can also unbalance balanced gear through the bay when you need to: if a transformer balanced output comes to the back of the bay, you can unbalance it by inserting a TS plug cable (tying the minus leg to ground) and running that to an unbalanced device. But you can always run it balanced into a balanced input using TRS plugs on a balanced line.

You can unbalance a typical active balanced output by inserting into the bay a special cable with a TRS plug on one end with the R floating (leaves the minus leg of the output floating) and a TS plug on the other end to connect to unbalanced gear. And again, you can always run it balanced into a balanced input using TRS plugs on a balanced line. Very handy!

Cheers,

Otto

Back