Avoiding rack rash

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
How do you guys avoid getting rack rash on your mounted gear? I've tried neoprene and nylon washers, but when I start tightening down the screws on the equipment, they just deform and sometimes don't help at all. Any suggestions?:confused:

It depends on the head diameter of the screw. If you're not using rack screws with sufficient diameter use an additional metal washer to increase diameter and use larger diameter nylon washer behind that. The center holes in the washer must be matched to the screw shaft so that they don’t slide around.

I only use standard Raxxess or Middle Atlantic screws and have no issues. IMO, it’s worth the additional cost over what you may have to settle for from a local hardware store.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c484--Rack_Screws

~Tim
:)

Hadn't thought of that. Always worth a try.;)

felt-washer_10787248.jpg

IMO…a little rack rash is not that important, since it's always unseen when the gear is mounted…

But I'm puzzled why you have trouble using nylon washers?
Yeah, when you tighten down the screw, it will make a small impression into the nylon washer...but it shouldn't get all the way through to the rack ears and damage them….???
Are you maybe over-tightening?

I wouldn't think that I was overtightening. I just torque it down just enough to keep the unit moving left/right. I think I have screws where the head is a little too small. It's a small desktop rack I bought a few years ago.

If you go to you local Home Depot...in the Hardware section, in those pull-out boxes...you can find nylon washers that are MUCH thicker than what you get with typical rack screw sets (just ask if you can't find 'em).

They come in several diameters, and are made of a VERY hard nylon....just make sure the head of the screw is not going to go through the washer's hole...and then you can crank them down as hard as you want, I doubt they will be crushed (unless you use an air-gun ;) ).

I have been using nylon bolts and washers, the washers on both sides of the rack gear, not only stops the rash it also avoids earth loops.

Cheers

Alan.

Who cares?

This is like putting shoe covers on so your shoes don't get dirty.

I don't get it, unless you're infatuated with the idea that you want to preserve the item for later sale.

I don't buy shit I want to sell, so this whole thing is baffling to me. :confused:

Who cares?

This is like putting shoe covers on so your shoes don't get dirty.

I don't get it, unless you're infatuated with the idea that you want to preserve the item for later sale.

I don't buy shit I want to sell, so this whole thing is baffling to me. :confused:

What's baffling about looking after and respecting your own gear?

Cheers

Alan.

Back