Avalon M5 as vocal preamp?

whyseye

I know that it just has the Hi-Z input, but is there anyone here who has used it as a mic pre, either with a Hi-Z microphone, or by means of clever rerouting?
I love the sound of the Avalon 2022 that I have at work for VO, and also as a killer bass DI, but don't have that kind of budget....the U5 uses the same preamp, so it would be great for bass, but what about VO as well...?
.....there's gotta be a way....:cool:

Edit: D'oh!! I meant U5, but typed M5 and can't edit the post title...(what say you, Mr Freud?) :o

....which may change your responses....

Last edited:
You can buy a XLR female to 1/4 male. I got mine through MF. Should even find them at RS. I own the M5 but I never tried the DI with a mike. That's something I can try tonight.

it looks like it only has 36db gain on the mic input*. that might be passable/cool for condenser mics (in which case you would need a phantom power box or something), but it might struggle to give you enough gain for a dynamic (some of the voice over classics as you well know) and definitely for ribbons.
i remember reading a post somewhere where someone was happy with using it with a sm57 on snare drum as a pre, but that's a very loud source.
i've heard it makes a great bass di
* link to specs: http://www.avalondesign.com/preampif.html

Ive got one... I've never tried using it like that though. Maybe a trip to GC on monday for a adapter is in order.

The impedence would be unusually high for that purpose.

In all likelihood the sound would be very rolled off and midrangy.

Might make for an interesting effect, though.

Back