Avalon Customer Service

Richard Monroe

Well, it's been alledged on this board that Avalon has great customer service. I have to say- I don't think so. I've got a problem with my AD2022, and I've been trying to get a return authorization code from them for 2 days. They don't accept email, their fax machine doesn't work, they don't answer their phones, and they don't call back. I've left them plenty of voicemail, and they might as well be shut down, which is seriously fucking with my production schedule.
Fletcher, you're an Avalon dealer- any tips here?-Richie

Weird. I needed some rubber feet for my U5, so I e-mailed them about how much replacements would cost. They responded to my e-mail same day, shipped the feet free-of-charge the next day, and enclosed a free t-shirt with them. That was about a year and a half ago. Maybe things have changed, or maybe they're just having some communication issues right now (server down, whatever).

Have you tried contacting the place where you purchased the item? Generally... if they're any good... they'll get you the requisite "RA number" so you can send the unit back and get it repaired.

Thanks, Fletcher, Already done, RA code in hand and shipped. I do believe that people who don't accept email and don't maintain their fax machine should answer their phone. It took them 2 days to respond to me. I hope they fix the unit faster than they answer their phonemail.-Richie

My experience with Avalon is that they tend to turn around repairs pretty much the 'same day'... I can also understand why they no longer accept emails... in the last 6 months I've gone from about 40-50 'spam mails' a day to over 200. It's a fucking pain in the balls to be sure.

A tip on the issue of spam...

Once your email address is on a list it's going to be hosed, nothing you can really do about it. One thing you might consider is only using your real email address when conversing with real people, then use aliases to manage the rest. So you might use something like george.junk@mydomain.com whenever you buy or sign up for something online. Have both addresses route to the same mailbox, and use rules in your mail client to sort out the .junk emails from the regular emails. It can be quite effective. You still get the spam, but at least you don't have to sift through it to see legit messages (unless you've purchased something and are waiting for status replies, etc). If you have to post your email address on a website, then an alias that you can change every few months might be a good idea.

From a corporate standpoint, not accepting email because of spam is downright rude. There are so many things that can be done at that level to stop excess spam...besides, businesses should really consider taking on that annoyance instead of annoying their customer base!

Anyhow, back to the main topic...

Slackmaster 2000

Well, I got my AD2022 back today in perfect working order. They turned it around in 1 day and shipped it priority to help me meet my production schedule. And I got the cool T-shirt. Getting ahold of these buggers is not easy, but once you do, they're OK. The only real annoyance is, they never told me what was wrong with it, although the shipping dude admitted they replaced several parts. Just thought I'd let y'all know. Well, back to tracking.-Richie

Back