Avalon 737

What for? What are you using now? What's the rest of your signal chain? What mics are you using? What are you trying to do now that you can't?

The 737 is a pretty standard studio staple. Personally, I think it's pretty overpriced compared to other equipment on the market. The Avalon stuff however does have great client appeal. If they were to drop the price to about $1200 I would consider it an excellent bargain. It's not that it's a bad piece of gear, because it certainly isn't. It does however have this "mystical" appeal. There are a lot of the 737's out there in big studios, but they don't get used nearly as often as one might think. You can take all of this however you want. if you do get one, I don't think you will regret it. I have used the 737's on countless occasions. However, my money will go to ther gear before the 737. Down the road I will end up with a pair though:)

ndycus1, if you're going to get some $1000-per-mic drum OH mics [ per your other thread in the mic forum ] you oughta consider a mic pre that would do more duties - and get two channels rather than a single channel. The Phoenix Audio DRS-2 is a great drum OH mic pre, and also excellent on vocals, acoustic guitar and amps. It has transformerless inputs - which give greater detail and imagery.

I reviewed the DRS-2 here... http://www.digitalprosound.com/2003/02_feb/reviews/drs2_review.htm

The combination of Gefell M295 mics and the DRS-2 preamps on drum OH's is absolutely stunning. Also on acoustic guitar. And if you have or choose a great vocal mic, the DRS-2 will more than earn its keep in your studio. Regardless of whether the style is rock, hip-hop, r&b, country or polka.

Well, right now, it is looking like the majority of my mic pres will be the Focusrite pres installed in the Pro Tools Control 24. I don't really know anything about the quality of these pres. The 737 would mainly be for vocals, acoustic guitar, and possibly some other applications if they call for it. Will the Control 24's pres be good enough, or should I invest in outboard pres for all of my mics?

The pres on the Control 24 are mid-level Focusrite pres. Certainly usable, but nothing stunning. But it's not like you need stuning pres on every track. If you're recording bands having really good pres at least for the OH's will make a big difference [ especially since you're looking at investing in some nice mics ]. Maybe some beefier pres for guitar amps... a better overall chain for lead vox.

ndycus1, what kinda music are you doing? Is this for a commercial studio or a private place?

It will be for a small/mid-sized commercial studio. A lot of it will be rock music, but it will be open to everything. Considering it will be located in Atlanta, there is bound to be a lot of hip-hop. What all mics (i.e. vocals, overheads, electric guitar, acoustic, etc.) do you think I will need a separate, designated pre for?

I`ve recorded bass thru the 737 in the studio. I use the cheap stuff here at home. I couldnt be happier with the fullness and tone of the 737 for bass.

The control 24 is actually the low end mic pre's. They are still better than most of your budget consoles though. If you are doing rock music, have a look at a 4 channel API preamp. You will never regret that on drums and guitars. The Avalon will be really cool for a DI input, and some vocals. If you ever want an aggresive vocal that really comes out at you though, the Avalon 737 would not be my choice. Anything Neveish (Great River, Chandler clones etc...). Personally, I absolutely love my Chandler TG2 (EMI clone, not Neve clone). It's just a no frills aggresive tunable 2 channel preamp though. No EQ's or comps.

Back