Audiobuddy mods

I don't suppose anybody has posted a mod to raise the phantom power voltage to 48V, have they?

:D

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
What do you mean, ity already puts out 48v :confused: (until you plug in a mic that is :D ).

There have been a number of reports of them putting out as low as 30V (open circuit) and even less with a mic attached. That said, it may vary from unit to unit or computer to computer. I'm not sure.

I have looked through the user guide and it doesn't mention anything about +48 DC (or any other voltage). It just says it supplies "Phantom Power"

That make me suspect it's not full 48 V, because if it was, I think they'd say that.

But that's just my opinion.

Tbh I don't know if it's 48v or not, I do know it drops under load.

It's a limitation inherent in the design, the opamp that drives the voltage mutiplier also acts as a HF oscillator and it shares supply and ground traces with other opamps.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
Tbh I don't know if it's 48v or not, I do know it drops under load.

The real question is how much current can it supply? So long as it's at least 3mA, probably 90% of condensers will be happy.

I know a good mod:

1. Put audio buddy on table.

2. Smash with fireman's axe.

3. Purchase reel to reel deck.

sweetnubs said:
I know a good mod:

1. Put audio buddy on table.

2. Smash with fireman's axe.

3. Purchase reel to reel deck.
:D I agree, why not just buy decent gear to begin with/? Save your pennies.

(In my case, id rather have a Genex or RADAR than a tape machine)

I don't even own an audiobuddy but seeing as how this is a forum primarily for people who make recordings at home, often with pretty cheap gear, then I thought there might be a handful of people who would find this info useful.

Some people can only afford cheap gear, it's a mod to make a crappy mic pre sound slightly less crappy, it's not a fucking big deal really. :rolleyes:

Of course I'm delighted it also served as an opportunity for you to name drop some more fancy gear brands. ;)

Hey, I drop what I know. ;) I dont remember once saying that it wasnt useful...but if you have to mod the hell out of something to make it workable, why not buy something that is workable from the start? Who said things had to be expensive?

So sorry to offend your delicate sensibilities, your highness. :rolleyes: :p

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I don't even own an audiobuddy but seeing as how this is a forum primarily for people who make recordings at home, often with pretty cheap gear, then I thought there might be a handful of people who would find this info useful.

Some people can only afford cheap gear, it's a mod to make a crappy mic pre sound slightly less crappy, it's not a fucking big deal really. :rolleyes:

Of course I'm delighted it also served as an opportunity for you to name drop some more fancy gear brands. ;)

BigRay said:
Hey, I drop what I know. ;) I dont remember once saying that it wasnt useful...but if you have to mod the hell out of something to make it workable, why not buy something that is workable from the start? Who said things had to be expensive?

Whatever ray.

BigRay said:

glad to see

your really useful posts

just keep coming

what a great addition

to this board

Takes all kinds!

even dipshit rappers that use drug references as forum IDs..

I call it as I see it. ;)

cannabis said:
glad to see

your really useful posts

just keep coming

what a great addition

to this board

BigRay said:
Takes all kinds!

even dipshit rappers that use drug references as forum IDs..

I call it as I see it. ;)
then you might want to

open your eyes

people usually see better thataway

oh, and thanks for the link, kevin

i have mine loaned out right now

but when i get it back

and get some time

i may try it

it's a little shy on the phantom power

current too

(as evidenced by the voltage drop

under load from one mic, and further drop

from the second mic)

i think it uses a voltage tripler or quadrupler

so would be hard to get more power

without a complete rebuild

of the power supply

Or you could save your pennies a bit longer and get a DMP3. Big quality difference to me, and only about $50 more.

Also, I'm pretty sure the DMP3 has full 48V phantom power.

Back