Audio mixer concern

Godbrandont

Hello, my name is Brandon and I have a query about an audio mixer. Me and my band wanted a higher quality method to record some of our instruments such as guitar as using a condenser microphone didn't really give us the quality we desired. So we're thinking about buying the Behringer 802 8 Input 2 Bus Mixer. This costs about £50 so we thought it's pretty cheap for recording some decent music. We could also use it in some live situations. I'm pretty sure this is correct but I just wanted to confirm, say we've plugged a guitar into the mixer, we can then use an RCA cable and plug that into the master output of the mixer and connect that to a RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug that into the microphone input on our computer and we can record guitar that way? Is this correct? Any sort of information regarding this and any other information that might help us for what we're trying to do is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

we've plugged a guitar into the mixer, we can then use an RCA cable and plug that into the master output of the mixer and connect that to a RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plug that into the microphone input on our computer and we can record guitar that way?

Well, yes, that will work. Whether it will give you the results you expect is another thing. Firstly, you will be trying to put a line-level output from the mixer into a mike-level input on the computer. Sometimes you can get away with this by keeping the output level very low on the mixer.

A more dependable method would be to get a mixer with USB output, and send the signal from mixer to computer via USB.

Once it's in the computer, what do you want to be able to do with it?

The answer to that question will unearth other options.

Well, yes, that will work. Whether it will give you the results you expect is another thing. Firstly, you will be trying to put a line-level output from the mixer into a mike-level input on the computer. Sometimes you can get away with this by keeping the output level very low on the mixer.

A more dependable method would be to get a mixer with USB output, and send the signal from mixer to computer via USB.

Once it's in the computer, what do you want to be able to do with it?

The answer to that question will unearth other options.

Behringer Premium 10 Input 2 Bus Mixer with XENYX Mic Preamps/Compressors/British EQs and USB/Audio Interface: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments Do you reckon this would be a better option then?

Yes. Your original idea will technically work, but I almost guarantee you will hate the results, so there's no point in wasting your money and time trying that.

See if your computer has a stereo 'line in' input. If it does, then you could use the first mixer you suggested.

Back