audio interface/sound quality

kunalkho

does an audio interface have an effect on the sound quality of recording...i have a lexicon lamdba which was 150, then my cousin boguth me a digidesign mbox for 240..

and if not then wht is mbox more, when lexicon has more like inputs and stuff

In this case, the Mbox comes with ProTools which is where the extra cash comes in to play. Is one better that the other in sound quality? I have never A/B'd them so I couldn't say. Most likely the converters are very simular (as would most in that price range)

Does the interface affect the sound of a recording? Sure it does. There is an audible difference between a high quality interface and a cheap one. My Lynx Aurora interface sounds much better than the Aardvark Q10 I started out with. At the Lamda - M-Box level, though, it is unlikely that there is much difference. These are essentially both at the same price and quality point.

In the scheme of things, though, room treatment and better microphones and preamps will usually make a more distinctly audible difference in your recorded sound than your converters.

There's definitely a huge difference between high end converters and entry level converters, though this is debated pretty hotly. Like Pohaku said, you'd have to invest a good bit to get a *huge* difference.

Frank

Back