Audio Interface

MoralOrel

I need an audio interface because I'm only able to record on my laptop, and the soundcard is shocking and obviously unsuitable.

Ideally the audio interface needs one or two XLR microphone inputs and a MIDI input. Money is no object, but don't be silly.

What would you recommend?

Fohi.

Money is no object, but don't be silly.
Money is always an object.

That said - I'm partial to a few MOTU options for reasons of sheer flexibility. The Traveler for example - It's sort of a "Swiss Army knife" of sorts.

What sort of connection are you thinking of? USB? Firewire? Express 54? PCMCIA? ???

MIDI will likely be the rough one. At least for USB, in combination with the other stuff. Firewire, not so much. Ton of options, not all are stellar, but most are semi-functional.

If you have firewire you could use a RME-Audio Fireface 400 or Fireface 800 but there is a usb version of the 400

My 2Kws

Money is no object
hey! We've been looking all over for you - pick up a Prism Orpheus and a Metric Halo ULN-8 and tell us which one is better.

, but don't be silly.
oh. never mind.

I use a mac. I have a MOTU Traveler (firewire) that I got modified by Black Lion Audio, and as time goes by I continue to think it's great, and I use it for just about everything in one way or another. I had some bad experiences with the pre-modified Traveler, such that I'd have a hard time recommending it (preamps sounded edgy and would go bad). The fact that I got it modified means I'm on my own with regard to MOTU support, but I like to think I could reach out to Black Lion if needed. But after a couple of years, there's been no need. :D

I have an Echo Audiofire 12 (firewire) - it has no preamps, but it's got 12 nice sounding line-ins (and converters) - I can't really tell the difference between a direct in on the Echo and a direct in on the *modified* Traveler, but I'm pretty sure the Echo would have beat the unmodified traveler (but it's been a while). Both the Traveler and the Audiofire will run on an external clock, which means that, with Mac's "Aggregate Device" thing, I can run them both at the same time and have 20 analog inputs (and I think 10 more digital inputs through the Traveler), 16 of which go straight to the converters, at once - sweet!

I think it's worth looking at the Echo products on a cost/value basis.

I have a bottom of the line Presonus (Inspire 1394 - also firewire), but its preamps are too noisy for me - even with cleaner preamps, the Inspire is too limited in terms of features to do very much with (no real line ins, for instance, and only two preamps). I hear good tracks that others have made on here with their other products, like the Firebox, and it seems like a pretty good company - not dissn' it by any means.

I also have a Lexicon Omega (the only USB one I've got) that I set my son up with on Windows - haven't really used it enough to comment yet.

If you have a Mac, then you should look carefully at the Apogee Duet. Made to work with a Mac and a very nice unit. Very good conversion and very good preamps (2). No MIDI though. For the money, there's not much else in its class. Used ones go for @$425 or so. Otherwise, I like the RME products for all-in-one interfaces that are stable and of decent quality. Firewire is generally preferable to USB if you have that available.

Back