Audio or instrument cable to go from Synth to Mixer?

Jedman

What do you all use to patch your synthesizer into your mixer? I think I have to use mono 1/4" (not balanced) to go from my Alesis QSR synth to the mixer.
Should I use an Audio patch cable or an instrument 1/4 to 1/4 cable?

EDIT: I thought it was a no-brainer and tried using my *balanced* 1/4 to 1/4 patch cables that I have, but I only get sound out of one speaker...I've tried both L & R output, so I know they both work. That means I have to use unbalanced cable, right?

Thanks,
Jed

Instrument and unbalanced patch cables are pretty much the same thing. Instrument cables are usually just more rugged.

You need to use 2 cables and attach one to each L/R output and run them to your mixer if you want to record both outputs. Using balanced shouldn't screw anything up unless you are trying to plug into an insert.

like the guy above me mentioned, it should not be a problem aslong as your synths out is 2xmono. The ring and sleeve of the TRS (the 'stereo' jack) will be linked automatically.
Remember your source (kb/synth) is NOT balanced equipment, that's something a MONO source, like a microphone, can use.
just forget about that for now..

If the distance between source and destination (the mixer in this case) is not too lang (say less than 5 meters) you can plug it in right away.
Otherwise I'd suggest using 2xDI, which will also turn your signal into BALANCE. The mixer will recognize this and filter any unwanted noises that came along the lenght of the cable.

ro

Thanks guys - the length of cable is only like 3 feet or so. I realized the synth has two MONO outputs, one R and one L.
I guess the main question I had was whether or not I could use two balanced patch cables instead of two mono patch cables... just because that's all I have, and I'd have to buy some mono (ie. unbalanced) patch cables if I need to use those.

Thanks,
Jed

Thank you Tex, and sorry you had to S-P-E-L-L it out for me like that before I understood correctly, :) but I'm learning...slowly.

Jed

Back