ATTN: Chessrock - Aphex 107 opamp replacement

sleep over jack

hey Chessrock - I read a real old thread you had posted on about replacing the SSM-2017 opamp in the Aphex 107 preamp. i got some free samples of the Texas Instruments INA163UA opamp from TI. can you go into a little more detail about how to properly swap these chips?

Hey Sleepover,

Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to work. The 163 isn't a pin-compatible replacement for the 2017.

What you want is the INA-217, which you can also get from Texas Instruments if you call and ask.

I've got an old 107 that I'm reluctant to sell in case I one day find a use for it...

Anyone got the link to the opamp swap thread?

More importantly, is it a socketed op-amp??? I would hate to solder in one of those suckers!!!

I have a 107 that I like, it came w/ a NOS JAN tube, but I woudn't mind an easy upgrade...

So, count me in as another that would like to see the link for that upgrade!!! :)

Guys, bear with me, as this is an extremely challenging and grueling mod.

If you're in the least bit technically challenged, don't even bother.

All right, are you still with me? If you've gotten this far, then there's a good chance you might be ready for the challenge, so here goes:

Step 1: Remove SSM-2017 opamp. Hint: Look for the one that says: "SSM-2017" on it.

Step 2: Replace with Burr-Brown / Texas Instruments INA-217.

Thanks Chess... I haven't opened mine up yet, but I got a couple of those chips from TI last year....

It's socketed right??? Is there 1 per channel?? If so, I may do 1 channel, and do a proper comparison...

Big Kenny said:
which side of the 107 do we open?

The one with the screws.

You'll want to remove those, first, by the way. :D

By the way, guys, I wouldn't expect night and day differences upon first listen or anything. But on stuff that is heavy in sharp transients like cymbal crashes, hi-hat, heavily strummed accoustic, etc. ... you might hear a subtle improvement. The old opamp will probably sound slightly more, dare I say, "brittle?"

chessrock - is there any soldering involved?

also, TI offers 3 model numbers:
INA217AIDWR (16 pin)
INA217AIDWT (16 pin)
INA217AIP (8 pin)

any clue as to which model I need?

Har har chessrock.. okay I didn't know it was just a straight swap or whether it needed decoupling etc

And what difference does the new opamp provide?

Thanks!
Jonathan

sleep over jack said:
chessrock - is there any soldering involved?

<snip>

any clue as to which model I need?

you'll have to open the unit up to discern the answers to both of these questions. you should be able to immediately see whether there's any soldering and also what the pinout of the chip is.

cheers,
wade

Hi there,

it is time to dig one more time this thread.
I am clearly not familiar with electronic OPamp, but I can solder.

So, in my 107, there is no SSM-2017, mine got 2 SSM-2210.
As you may have thought, i want to switch them for Burr Brown, or any rocking materials.
As anyone any reference for this exchange? Plus, where can i order this things?

Also, i am planning to do so on my Marrantz PMD661.
The thing is, i can't find any sketch of the inside electronic. So, if someone can help about this too...

Even if i won't come back to the effects of this moddings, if you want to talk about it again, i won't stop you!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Back