AT4050, RE20, and which pre for $500?

Get something with a real big, kickass transformer in it.

Used UA Solo 110. It will get you very very close to that API/Neve sound. I have a 4110 and love it. The 110 is more or less the same thing except the transformer is always on versus the 4110/8110 which allows you to go transformerless... which I seem to never do.

Used UA Solo 110. It will get you very very close to that API/Neve sound. I have a 4110 and love it. The 110 is more or less the same thing except the transformer is always on versus the 4110/8110 which allows you to go transformerless... which I seem to never do.

These units seem to go for around $600 or so used. Seems like a pretty good deal. I'd love to hear one.

Hi folks,

Looking for something used in the $500 range to use for vocals and acoustic guitar. My setup is low-end, but I'd like something a little better to use just for vox and acoustic. My main microphones for vocals are an AT4050 and an RE20. Would something like a Univeral Audio LA Solo 610 be all right? Perhaps a GT Brick? Used API 512c?

I've been trolling around and these suggestions seem to pop up consistently. Any other suggestions?

i like the groove tubes brick and RE20 on lots of different sources. Maile rock vocals, snare drum, mic'd 4 x 10 bass cab. I think with certain acoustics the combo holds up, not to mention it's a DI which adds functionality.

I have limited experience with the 512c, and i've never tracked vocals with one, but i don't think ti would be my frist choice. 512c's are FANTASTIC on lots of sources, but i wouldn't stretch my budget to get one for vox and acoustic. Now if you're tracking snares or electric guitars.... :)

Back