ART Tubepac connection

mutt

I recently purchased the ART Tubepac compressor/preamp to connect to my Tascam 564 digital 4 track portastudio. The manual says that I could connect it thru a 1/4 cable to the line in on one of the Tascam's channels. It also said that I could connect using the xlr output of the ART to the regular xlr channel input of the 564, but the ART preamp plus the Tascam preamp might make it too noisy.

1. If I connect using the 1/4" to line in, would I use a regular mono patch cable or stereo?

2. If I used the xlr input, would the compressor part of the ART not be in effect, only the preamp??

What would be my best connection setup for vocals??

mutt

I believe the recomended way is to use the 1/4".

Keep your Tascam's preamp down all the way, it is a shitty preamp and you just bought a $200 preamp, so use it.

Your preamp is mono (I don't know about the compressor) so use a mono cable.

Both functions should work, regardless of which cable set up you use. Read the instructions, the ones to the Tube MP suggest using a 1/4".

hey mutt,

a fellow 564 user, cool! i also use the tubepac and as panny recommended, use the 1/4" inputs from your tubepac to the 1/4" inputs on your 564. assuming you have a decent mic (and with instruments too) you will hear a HUGE difference. you'll never use the 564 pre's again :-) the tubepac rocks for the $. and nope, the only way to turn on/off the comp is from the front panel controls. enjoy!

tony

Yo PAC-ers!(PACmen?) Whatever...I also have one of these sexy black boxes and have tried several patching alternatives.I would call your attention to the fine print at the back of the Manual,the specifications to be exact.Therin it states that the Maximum Output Level using XLR is +27dbu (!),wheras the Max.Out.Lev. with 1/4" is +22dbu. this may not look like much on paper,but in a Home Studio,we can use every db of signal to noise we can get.SO...after trying a few options,I broke down and spent the $25 on a 2 meter long Monster XLR to TRS cable which I plug in to the Line in on my mixer.It sounds good and the xtra gain means I can leave my mixer's trim control completely counterclockwise,thereby avoiding any console induced grunge or noise.DON'T however,plug an XLR/XLR mic cable from the PAC to a Mic input on your console,it will overload the console mic pre.(ART warns against this elsewhere in the Manual).Cheers!

Back