ART Tube PAC......more

mcmd

Zzounds has the ART tube PAC for $219. Any reason I shouldn’t get the separates, i.e. the ART tube MP for $100 and the ART levelar Compressor for $60 and save $60?

Thanks,
mcmd

Yes...
Putting more units in the chain will just add more noise.... and you WILL have noise, even with the MP alone.
If you want to spend your money once, go for something like the Joe Meek VC6Q. You'll get a preamp that sounds a million times better, is waaaay quieter, has an EQ, and a compressor.
You get what you pay for, that's the bottom line.

just to re-inforce what buck62 is saying, i have a tube pac and don't like it. I don't like it on vocals, acoustic or electric guitars. It just sounds dull, and even kind of thin for a tube mike-pre.
I don't know why you're specifically looking at "tube" pre's, but there's plenty of solid state pre's that sound much better, and would be more useful as an all-around mike-pre. I really like my symetrix sx202.

Check out the ART Tube Channel, it combines tube mic pre with tube compression and multiband eq. I have one in it sounds great I use for vocals, guitar, drums. Personally I'd skip solid state mic pre's, tube is so much warmer/fuller! I believe the price was around $300?

Thanks for the responses,

Originally, I wanted a mic, preamp and compressor, all for under $300. The ART Tube PAC coupled with an SM57 seemed an option, as both continue to get favorable reviews on this BB. I am now looking at the Joemeek VC3V2 ($250 my local Mars) or the Joemeek VC3Q ($300) – $$ creepage !

My set-up is a celeron 333 PC, Midiman PCI card, Cakewalk GS2, Mesa/Boogie DC3 and an old 3-pickup, SG LesPaul custom. Like so many, I track rhythm, lead guitar and midi bass and drums- ‘only one input required’. While I primarily want some compression of the guitar and vocals, I would also like to use the compressor with the amp for live jamming,

If I ever get to a mix down, I have a Wavelab lite CD with (I think) a compressor plug-in for a final ‘wash’. Just trying to get the basics going here ……

Thanks,

mcmd

mcmd.

You ever use the recording out on the DC-3? I have one and I find the recording out to be quite adequate when I'm not able to mic.

-jhe

Jhe,

I agree. My first rough-cuts were recorded DI to the soundcard (no amp). With the Amp Sim lite plug-in added, (CW GS2) you definitely get a warmer sound. Later tracks cut with the DC3 recording output sound just like the boogie amp. The recording output of the DC-3 faithfully reproduces the valve preamp stage. I have yet to add the plug-in on tracks recorded direct from the DC3. I am going to mike this amp with an SM57 and also use the recording output direct…hoping for the best of both worlds….

Back