ART Tube MP Studio V3 no sound out

pncola

Hi,

Recently I've bought used ART Tube MP Studio V3. The power comes when connected to 9v adapter and I can hear the small amount of noise when I turn the output level to maximum. But input signal is not detected, no sound come out . I've tried with microphones and guitar by using different cables. VU meter is not moving and no sound out. Is it tube problem? Can I fix it by replacing tube? Or Is there any other possibility of that problem? Please advise. Thanks.

Last edited:
- Is the power adapter the 'correct' 9 volt AC one and not a DC adapter? If it is AC it should have 800ma or higher marked on the adapter.
- You mention turning up the 'Output'. Did you as well try turning up the 'Input' knob to increase the gain?
- Tried depressing the 'Norm' button to add +20db of gain?
- Does the mic need phantom power and if so was it on?
- What are you sending the output of the preamp to? Interface, mixer, amplifier, or something else.

Might be the tube, but think it's less likely.

Thanks for advise. The adapter I use is AC 1100 mA. I've tried input knob, norm button. No sound coming out. Mic is SM58 dynamic mic. The output I am sending is to audio interface.

I have, unexpectedly, found a schematic for that Art pre. Bit complicated but it looks as though the valve is necessary for output in all conditions. A buffer IC is fed from the second valve stage's cathode.

Could be a broken valve. N.B. if the glass has gone white inside, deff' cracked so use a gardening glove or stout rag to remove it, do not want a cut and that white crap in it! If the valve lights up it is unlikely to be faulty but it is fed from a complex voltage multiplier power supply that produces 48volts. Any part of that could have gone wrong. This is not a circuit for the noob to attempt repair of.

What is the Audio Interface? Likely AS good a mic pre in that as the Art! If you were after some 'valve tone' I doubt that pre would do it as it uses the 'Starved Plate' power technique and I am not sure that is the same as running at a nice deadly 300volts!

Dave.

I like those Art Tube pres. I had one years ago...surprisingly good/cool sounds.
Might have to rebuy it.

for $25 used it is probably ripe for something. I bet they can do something worthwhile with some attention....the V3 MP was always cool looking. but that was all before plugins. the tube will cost about the same or 70% of the unit. crazy.
$75 brand new for the V3 MP.
$55 for the non VU and non Limiter version new, comes with new tube.
$49 Studio MP....

read good things about it for DI .

I'd go with a tube for the fix or at least a test. What else could it be? Its powering up so a new tube is obvious to try. go for it:drunk:

for $25 used it is probably ripe for something. I bet they can do something worthwhile with some attention....the V3 MP was always cool looking. but that was all before plugins. the tube will cost about the same or 70% of the unit. crazy.
$75 brand new for the V3 MP.
$55 for the non VU and non Limiter version new, comes with new tube.
$49 Studio MP....

read good things about it for DI .

I'd go with a tube for the fix or at least a test. What else could it be? Its powering up so a new tube is obvious to try. go for it:drunk:

Y'know CC? I DO wish it was mandatory for peeps to show country of residence! If the OP is in UK (or even le continent!) I would gladly send him an ECC83/12AX7 to try.

Dave.

Back