Thread: ART Tube MP Studio V3 no sound out

Thanks

Question ART Tube MP Studio V3 no sound out

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

Recently I've bought used ART Tube MP Studio V3. The power comes when connected to 9v adapter and I can hear the small amount of noise when I turn the output level to maximum. But input signal is not detected, no sound come out . I've tried with microphones and guitar by using different cables. VU meter is not moving and no sound out. Is it tube problem? Can I fix it by replacing tube? Or Is there any other possibility of that problem? Please advise. Thanks.
    Last edited by pncola; 08-11-2017 at 10:03.

Thanks
    - Is the power adapter the 'correct' 9 volt AC one and not a DC adapter? If it is AC it should have 800ma or higher marked on the adapter.
    - You mention turning up the 'Output'. Did you as well try turning up the 'Input' knob to increase the gain?
    - Tried depressing the 'Norm' button to add +20db of gain?
    - Does the mic need phantom power and if so was it on?
    - What are you sending the output of the preamp to? Interface, mixer, amplifier, or something else.

Might be the tube, but think it's less likely.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Thanks for advise. The adapter I use is AC 1100 mA. I've tried input knob, norm button. No sound coming out. Mic is SM58 dynamic mic. The output I am sending is to audio interface.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    I have, unexpectedly, found a schematic for that Art pre. Bit complicated but it looks as though the valve is necessary for output in all conditions. A buffer IC is fed from the second valve stage's cathode.

Could be a broken valve. N.B. if the glass has gone white inside, deff' cracked so use a gardening glove or stout rag to remove it, do not want a cut and that white crap in it! If the valve lights up it is unlikely to be faulty but it is fed from a complex voltage multiplier power supply that produces 48volts. Any part of that could have gone wrong. This is not a circuit for the noob to attempt repair of.

What is the Audio Interface? Likely AS good a mic pre in that as the Art! If you were after some 'valve tone' I doubt that pre would do it as it uses the 'Starved Plate' power technique and I am not sure that is the same as running at a nice deadly 300volts!

Dave.

Thanks
    I like those Art Tube pres. I had one years ago...surprisingly good/cool sounds.
    Might have to rebuy it.

Thanks
    for $25 used it is probably ripe for something. I bet they can do something worthwhile with some attention....the V3 MP was always cool looking. but that was all before plugins. the tube will cost about the same or 70% of the unit. crazy.
    $75 brand new for the V3 MP.
    $55 for the non VU and non Limiter version new, comes with new tube.
    $49 Studio MP....

read good things about it for DI .

I'd go with a tube for the fix or at least a test. What else could it be? Its powering up so a new tube is obvious to try. go for it

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-HG

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCat View Post
    for $25 used it is probably ripe for something. I bet they can do something worthwhile with some attention....the V3 MP was always cool looking. but that was all before plugins. the tube will cost about the same or 70% of the unit. crazy.
    $75 brand new for the V3 MP.
    $55 for the non VU and non Limiter version new, comes with new tube.
    $49 Studio MP....

read good things about it for DI .

I'd go with a tube for the fix or at least a test. What else could it be? Its powering up so a new tube is obvious to try. go for it
    Y'know CC? I DO wish it was mandatory for peeps to show country of residence! If the OP is in UK (or even le continent!) I would gladly send him an ECC83/12AX7 to try.

Dave.

Thread Information