art tube mp studio v3 Help !!!!

trubac

Hallo everybody, 1st post here but longtime reader ...
I've got a Art tube mp studio v3 ... not very sexy box but ...

I didn't use it much and wanted to change the opa inside, so opened the box to see horrible soldering on the multiwires that connects the 3 different pcb ...

On the rear pcb that holds the inputs and outputs, there is a little green wire that was connected to one of the holes ...
but wich one ??? when I've took out the multi-wires i couldn't see because of the glue on it.

IMG_6753.jpg

Is there her a nice gentleman that can open his Art tube mp studio v3 and take a pic of the rear pcb ? or tell on wich one it was ... I suspect the 4th comming fron the right but not 100% sure, can be the 3rd

Thanks very much !!

Gilles

Maybe if you can turn it over so we can see the componants we can help with it too.
Thanks the green wire is connected to pin 2 of the input.
pic will come.

Edit : can't take a proper pic ... all I can see it is that it is connected to the Hot of inpout XLR

Last edited:
As always, I'm a day late and a dollar short trying to help. But I'll still remind you that I have absolutely no trouble getting schematics and PC board layouts right from ART. I don't even BS and say the unit in question needs servicing. I just tell them I make a habit of getting service info for all my gear, for future reference ;).

As always, I'm a day late and a dollar short trying to help. But I'll still remind you that I have absolutely no trouble getting schematics and PC board layouts right from ART. I don't even BS and say the unit in question needs servicing. I just tell them I make a habit of getting service info for all my gear, for future reference ;).
And you are perfectly right !
had a mail yesterday from ART :
"Looking at the picture that was sent the green wire is connection to pin 4 on the header. that is pin4 from the right side to left."
thanks to ART and you guys !

Yeah, ART makes some low-end gear, but their 'better' stuff is actually quite good and certainly usable. The Tube MP isn't their best pre by a country mile, but it works, and ART supports it. Even though you only spent maybe $75 on the MP Studio V3, ART supports you! That's why I try and stick with ART, although I also try and get the more expensive rack gear. And 'expensive' isn't that 'expensive'; try getting a better tube/Vactrol compressor the the PRO VLA II for $299. Heck, try spending double that and getting any better. Even the Chameleon 7802 is $800. I certainly don't have the $$$ for a Pendulum OCL-2 or a D.W. Fearn VT-7. But then, I am just using a few dynamics in my (untreated) bedroom, so ART works just fine, thank you.

Hello RANJAM.
Someone who owns a recording studio just gave me an ART-Tube MP studio V3 for repair.
This unit is noisy in all NEUTRAL voicing positions. In all other positions (WARM, WARM OPL, NEUTL OPL) the noise disappears. Sounds like a defective filter cap to me.
Anyway, You stated before that you could get the schematics for any type of ART equipment. Sooo, would you mind sending me the plans of this ART-Tube MP studio V3? My email is frankpistohl@gmail.com

ranjam hasn't been here for a while.

If you need a schematic the except below is from ART's site support page ART Pro Audio .....

"Q: I need a schematic... how can I get one?

A: Simply send an email to support@artproaudio.com. Be sure to include the model name! We'll send you an Adobe .pdf file with the schematic you requested. PLEASE NOTE: Schematics are not released for new products still under warranty. (e.g. Tubefire8)"

I sent an email 5 days ago to ART Pro Audio. Does it always take so long to get an answer from them?

AFAICS...http://guitarwork.ru/electronic/firm/Preamp/PAiA-Electronics Tube-Mic Pre (v1).jpg

The signal from the mic op amp always goes through the valve and for noise that would be my first port of call.

Next suspects would be the very high value, 270k anode loads. Noise problems can often be traced using a can of freezer spray.

Dave.

Hi Dave.
How can I use this freezer spray to trace the noise?
Would freezer spray reveal a cold solder point?
Another thing is that the pcb of this ART tube preamp is based on SMD technology and I'm not quite familiar with it.

Hi Dave.
How can I use this freezer spray to trace the noise?
Would freezer spray reveal a cold solder point?
Another thing is that the pcb of this ART tube preamp is based on SMD technology and I'm not quite familiar with it.

Might be a joint (we call them "dry" joints over here) and yes, you spray suspect parts but if it is Surface Mount construction give it up now unless you have excellent soldering ability and the steady hands of a watchmaker.

Dave.

Hi Mark.
I allready swapped the tube for a vintage Matsushita 12AX7 (NOS). Same noise. Let me try cleaning the contacts of the voicing selector switch.
And your right: SMD sucks!

AND just to be 100% clear: I use SMD as the acronym for "Surface Mount Devices". Not to be mistaken for another acronym found in some chatrooms...

The question has not been asked "how noisy is it?" Your expectations might be too high for the design.

The front end uses an NE 5532, a low noise chip indeed but NOT as low as the 5534 solo device. Then, even the best IC inputs (sans transformer) are not as good as the best of the bipolar hybrid circuits.

Perhaps because the signal is going though a noisy ole' valve stage, ART saw no point in making the front end super low noise?

To test the noise level, plug in a dynamic mic and get some speech waffling at around -18dBFS. Replace the mic with a screened 150-200 Ohm resistor and note the noise level Then tell we!

Dave.

Hi Dave.

I didn't know that the NE5534 is "quieter" than the 5534...

What exactly do you mean "waffling at around -18dBFS"?

I checked it again with dynamic mic and a 200 Ohm resistor (actually 2x 100 ohm 1%, unscreened) and the noise level is the same in both cases.

Today I met someone who really knows to work on this SMD stuff. He said that some ICs are probably gone bad.
He also said that since this is the Chaotic Republic Of Venezuela where usually everything works, just like in the "Wild, Wild West", he wouldn't promise anything. He may have used some different words...

Hi Dave.

I didn't know that the NE5534 is "quieter" than the 5534...

What exactly do you mean "waffling at around -18dBFS"?

I checked it again with dynamic mic and a 200 Ohm resistor (actually 2x 100 ohm 1%, unscreened) and the noise level is the same in both cases.

Today I met someone who really knows to work on this SMD stuff. He said that some ICs are probably gone bad.
He also said that since this is the Chaotic Republic Of Venezuela where usually everything works, just like in the "Wild, Wild West", he wouldn't promise anything. He may have used some different words...

Yes, the 34 is about 5dB quieter than the 32 (but much depends on source Z) and is preferred for such duties as an RIAA phono amp.

The "waffle"! I mean speech at 30mm or so from a dynamic such that in the DAW software the average level is -18dB ish. Do not recall what software you are using but Audacity has a neg 18 mark.

I don't see how a mic and a resistor can give the same noise at the same gain (the purpose of the exercise) since mic will pick up ambient noise.

Actually 100 Ohms is close enough but it should be screened, you could have hum, RF, all sorts of crap getting in else!

I would be very wary about letting Tom Mix loose on the pre amp. SMT is very easily buggered beyond redemption. Modern chips are UBER reliable.

Dave.

phantombox ... I trudged around another forum I'm a member of and found something that may be helpful.

PDF attached below. Hope it's the right one :)

'kin 'ell! If that is it be very careful. Full of DC coupled transistors, one slip of the meter probe, goodnight Vienna.

Dave.

Back