ART Tube MP Studio or DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip

jmo1112

Hi. Starting a new acoustic record this week, and I'm wondering what others' opinions of these two pre amps are. I know I know that I should get something better, but these are what I own, so I'm kinda stuck using them. I have a Shure KSM137 for the acoustic, and an Audio-Technica P48 for vocals, running into a Digi002, and Pro Tools. Which pre would you recommend: ART Tube MP Studio, or the DBX 376 channel strip?

On a side note, when I plug an XLR into my ART, then an XLR our of the ART into the Digi, the meter on the ART maxes out. Doesn't show a clip light, but the meter maxes out. I can use a 1/4" TRS for the output, and the meter works just fine. Only happens for XLR. Any ideas on that, too?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. Looking forward to hearing from everyone

i'ld use the dbx... but then i own and love a 386 (stereo version without the compression)... and unless your interface is exceptional i'lde also use the converters in the dbx...

If you have both try recording with both and see which one YOU like better

Seriously who better to decide which of the two preamps you own, you like better, than you

Am I missing something here?

I've got the 376.... It's got clean gain, and nice converters, with a pretty spiffy dithering algorithm. Nothing special about it... but it does the job... well

I'd go with that one...

I have both as well. The dbx is 'better' for clean and practically uncolored tones. The ART is..... well, it's ART. They work, and I think they work well. But they have a sound to them. They definitely color your signal no matter where the voicing switch is ('neutral' included), and if you like that, it's fine. If you want almost pristine acoustic guitar tones, use the dbx. If you don't mind a little more grist in your mill, use the ART. The meter is the output level, and I'd think the TRS and XLR are both the same impedance, but maybe not. No wait, the XLR is balanced and the 1/4" isn't. So it maybe the Digi is not seeing the right impedance. Make sure the Line/Instrument is set right on the Digi, and the pad is set right on the ART. Something may be loading down the signal with 1/4" and the results is the meter doesn't max out. It may just take some experimenting with setting levels and choosing the right input on the Digi.

Back