ART Pro VLAII - any opinions?

lo.fi.love

Functionally obsessed.
(Product Link)

I was reading reviews/opinions of the dbx 160A (on gearslutz, I think) and I read a suggestion to check out the ART Pro VLAII compressor. "More bang for the buck" or something to that effect.

I want to know if anyone here has any experience with this product. What did you think? And, how does it stack up to the dbx 166xl, or the 160A? Specifically, I'm looking for a pair of compressors to use in analog mixdown, and I'm curious to know more about this item.

For what it's worth, I've got two dbx 166xl's. Any comparisons of the VLAII against the 166xl will be especially helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Jeff

I do own a 166xl. I tend to like it on a channel insert rather than on the main mix or a sub mix.

I agree. The 166xl isn't so good on the main stereo buss.

I would also think the provla would have a less transparent sound being a tube comp.

When I think of "transparency" in the context of compression, I think of whether you can hear that a compressor is being used when you listen to the end result. No gasping or pumping, etc. "Smoothness", with no sudden, jittery changes in level. Maybe you meant "more color" because of its being a tube comp?

Since the tube circuitry is in the gain stage, I'd suspect that the outputted signal would be a tiny bit 'warmer' than what you'd get with a solid state compressor. Or, maybe not. I'm not sure what the advantage to having a tube in the gain stage would be, but if this is a great all-around 2-channel compressor for $300, I'm definitely interested.

Anyone?

I used to own an ART VLA comp, and it is a great deal for the price. It's a pretty smooth compressor, and I found it useful for guitar and vocal tracks. You can also replace the cheap tubes that come with it very easily, and the sound is improved. For that kind of money, it boils down to the VLA or the FMR RNC for usable compression.

Maybe you meant "more color" because of its being a tube comp?

Since the tube circuitry is in the gain stage, I'd suspect that the outputted signal would be a tiny bit 'warmer' than what you'd get with a solid state compressor.

That is exactly what I meant LF.

art pro vla to:lofi

I really would recommend it if you dont have a lot to spend...for the buck it is my fave piece of outboard gear...I have never replaced the tubes except to experiment, although i have heard that mallards,etc really sweeten it up.. I use it constantly even for final mixes right b4 the masterlink to tame any peaks...its very basic which i like and you really get an ear for what it does after a while...

thanks

clevodrummer, I was just thinking of doing the samething of hookig mine up on the tail end of a mix to see what it can do to a overall mix as well. It is a clear compressor it does hanle peaks very well. So in all I give it thumps up too!

Back