ART PRO VLA/RNC vs. Waves SSL

Hi guys... I´d been thinking about purchasing a compressor unit...

When I was almost ready to grab an VLA or a RNC I knew this guys selling his Waves SSL Bundle...

Which buy is wiser? I don´t care about software losing their "value"... I´m just seeking for a unit (or soft) to help me complement my recordings...

Which one is supposed to sound best? Comments? Anyone have both to compare them?

Thanks! :D

hardware VS software? I use a RNC sometimes when recording a drummers snare or bass drum live, usually to help out their kit, I never use it for editing and mixing process...so I would ask what you want to do with the compressor? If its for mixing/master work get the Waves bundle....or tell me who has it and I will buy it, especially if its that cheap. haha

i agree...if the waves bundle is being sold for as cheap as a vla/rnc goes, snatch it up

you can ALWAYS find those units used for fairly cheap, but good luck finding that deal again on the SSL bundle

Make sure that Waves is an authentic version, and be sure you are aware of any fees you may have to pay in order to use it. Waves can be a bit tricky that way.

yeah, software bundles?

its only funny now...but I took home a unit once, all day all night, stressing out to make this pc record widget work only to find out it was a "sample free" bs software bundle....

so though I could record and do almost anything except save it and burn a CD!!

at least 2 days wasted....which had nothing to do with the pc,,,nyuknyuk nyuk..:p

but seriously, I found out finally, I had to pay$$$ to have it work "fully".

So they weren't lying really, I could RECORD with the software. But it wasn't the full version.

Just saying what Sonic said, but in a more confusing, yet rephrased but more of a slangish way, that was not intended to waste anyones time reading babbling ta ta posts reiterating what some one else has said or even repeating what I said myself, I was just rephrasing myself from repeating anyone who is in a hurry and doesn't have time to read endless...babbling posts that go on and on just saying what they already said againa or someone else said before them in different words wasting peoples time.

yeah, software bundles?

its only funny now...but I took home a unit once, all day all night, stressing out to make this pc record widget work only to find out it was a "sample free" bs software bundle....

so though I could record and do almost anything except save it and burn a CD!!

at least 2 days wasted....which had nothing to do with the pc,,,nyuknyuk nyuk..:p

but seriously, I found out finally, I had to pay$$$ to have it work "fully".

So they weren't lying really, I could RECORD with the software. But it wasn't the full version.
You have confused software bundles with bundled software. Software bundles are a bunch of plugins that you buy all at once, in a package at a package price. Bundles software is software that comes with something else, generally hardware. Most of the time it's a demo version.

Thanks guys... I wasn´t clear in first post, Waves are (obviously) more expensive than those units... We´re still talking about the price, but it´s gonna be more than the price of the VLA or the RNC... That´s another factor to consider (think about 350/400 bucks)...

And, Lectric_Lab, you made a good point... I´m a drummer, so, most of the time I´m recording drums... I know it would be nice to have a nice comp to record, but it would also be nice to have quality plug to Mix my stuff...

Can´t decide yet... Help me guys! :D

Thaks Farview!

Anyone else would like to share some experience about this?

btw, do you use your budget compressors just for recording or do you use for mixing/mastering purposes too?

Thaks Farview!

Anyone else would like to share some experience about this?

btw, do you use your budget compressors just for recording or do you use for mixing/mastering purposes too?
I use the VLA for some vocals and bass. That's about it.

For vocals, I use my Langevin DVC and the compressor in it, then route that through the VLA. The DVC catches the big jumps and the VLA rides it the rest of the way.

I am a drummer too. I would go with the Waves SSL plugs anyday over the VLA. IN fact, I would not want to have use the VLA, but would happily use some of the Waves SSL plugs:)

Uh oh,here comes one of those analog guys...I don't do anything in digital (except for the HD24 which I use as my "tape deck"), but I own the VLA and like it quite a bit. I used to use it on the two bus from a 488MKII and it sounded great. It actually gave a very nice flavor to the whole recording and allowed me to push the overall volume of the recording without redlining when mixing down into a CDRW700. My setup has changed a bit now, but I will still use it, either as an inline or the "mastering" chain(between the master L/R outs and the CDRW). I've added a 1/4" tape machine to mix down to, so probably more as an inline compressor, since the tape should add some nice compression once I get everything up and humming. They are a cinch to use...one button or knob per command, but since you're already digital savvy, maybe the plug-in would be easier for you. All I can say from experience is that the VLA is a pretty decent unit.

It's also important to point outthat the SSL plugins include a buss compressor, EQ and channel strip. (basically, two different EQs, two different compressors, noise gate, and filter section) The VLA is just a compressor with limited controls.

It's also important to point outthat the SSL plugins include a buss compressor, EQ and channel strip. (basically, two different EQs, two different compressors, noise gate, and filter section) The VLA is just a compressor with limited controls.

Good point Farview...sounds like a nice plug-in. You're right about the VLA, but it has not had anything that I missed not having for my humble little setup. It's a one-trick pony, but it does that trick for me just the way I want it to. On the down side, I did have to have it sent in for repair a few months back due to a bad power transformer, but it was covered under the 5 year warranty.

My studio is still budget, so I don't have any hardware compressors. What I do have is an Art Tube MP Pre-Amp with a built-in limiter. It's not much but I use it as much as much as I can. I'm a loudness freak, so I'm always compressing the hell out of everything. I'm also a drummer so when I record I use it with the room mike, I crank the gain as much as I can (even with the +20db Pad), and I use the limiter, so the signal you end up with is pretty much sustain (what you are looking for in room mikes).
Of course that is one of the few practical uses I can think of for a limiter, but I would sure use a lot a phisical compressor (for recording, not mixing).
But then again I use the waves becouse I got them... not so legally:rolleyes:
But if I was to spend that much money on an unit, I would probably go for a hardware compressor, which is still on my next-to-be-purchased list.

I would stick with a hardware compressor. What if your operating system/software bundle become outdated? I find that hardware is useful long after software becomes outdated. Plus, I just like touching things that I work with. I am a drummer too. Touch is good!

Back