Art Pro VLA

Stefan Elmblad

The Art Pro VLA, the big tube/opto compressor that's 2 rack spaces in height, with VU-meters and +4dB operation level.

Has anyone got it ? What do you think of it ? I know the tubes are only at the output gain stage, but hey, you can crank that knob too, right ?

I'm not interested in opinions from people who never used it either. But if you have experience using it, please post you comments. Thanks.

I've owned one for over two years.

Sounds great-from subtle compression to heavy limiting, build quality is excellent, easy to understand controls.

The only potential negative is the ratios are fixed, but that didn't stop many other optical comp/limiting amplifiers from becoming classics.

Bottom line- I'd buy another one if I needed it, I'm very satisfied. In fact, I paid a lot more for mine than the price they are at now. About 50 % more. :rolleyes:

P.S.- you can get some incredible sustain out of this thing for electric lead guitar.

How do you mean the ratios are fixed... ? You mean the attack/release times right ? As I understand the attack is either "fast" =2ms, and "slow" =programdependent, up to 20ms, and the release is similar but with "fast" being 300ms and "slow" programdependent between 100-3000ms.

The ratios goes from 2:1 to infinity:1 according to the front panel.

I'm glad you like the sound of it though, cuz I've ordered a used one, and will get it in a couple of days. Can't wait to try it out.

I have the Dual Levelar, the baby brother of the VLA - same circuit, I believe, just fewer options.

I've really grown to love it, and use it more and more! Definitely not the compressor for EVERY job, but does wonderful things for drums, vocals, guitars - man, I record every guitar track through the thing.

And yes, they really DO sound like an LA-2. Not "as good as," but "like." They have a very similar flavor.

I dunno, people love to bash the ART stuff - but, my ears keep telling me that the levelar/VLA's sound great!

I've got one. It's OK. I would classify it as a mild compression, and there's not a lot of make up gain. If you want to do some real heavy limiting, I would go elsewhere. It kind of depends on what are you wanting to use it on. Actually, my next comp will be an RNC.

Stefan Elmblad said:
How do you mean the ratios are fixed... ? You mean the attack/release times right ? As I understand the attack is either "fast" =2ms, and "slow" .

I was mistaken, the attack times are fixed (not the ratios) at fast and slow (2ms and 15ms)

la2a like indeed

i've had my pair of pro vla's for about 3-4 years now and have logged many hours on them. i absolutely love them. they are defintely optical comps and i really dig that medium for comping everything but stuff with a fast attack (snare, bass drums, etc). very musical, very subtle, just plain nice. make sure to use the xlr outs tho. the 1/4" outs kill the level...

and for $350 new and in the $200 range used, you can't go wrong. they really compliment the rnc as well :-)

tony

This is my newest piece of gear (although it is by no means a new product) as I build my home studio around the Korg D1600. It's my first and only compressor (so far). I don't have any negative comments, it's easy to use, which is good as I am low on my compression learning curve. The attack/release are defaults, the manual gives the specs. It's really nice having the VU meters switchable from input to output. Since I got it, I've studied and learned that there is real science applied during the process of compression, but it doesn't take a rocket scientists to hear the difference this unit makes. I paid $350 new, would buy it again.

Back