ART Pro Channel

EdJames

Hi guys

Would appreciate any feedback from those who've used this unit in terms of the settings to use to get me started. I'm connecting to an Audio Technica AT4040 microphone recording Pop/RnB vocals.

I am rubbish with the low cut not, should this be high or low?

I am useless with the compressor and don't really understand how to set the threshold or compressor nobs.

I'm even worse with the parametric equalizer, where do I even begin with this?!

Any advice would be appreciated...

If there is a way to, you should just bypass the compressor and EQ until you know how to use them and that you do in fact need them. It's just that many less variables to potentially mess up your sound, since you are just starting out...

The low cut is just to cut out handling noise, or other low frequency rumbles while you are recording.

there are lots of threads on here and at https://homerecording.com/bbs (which is a better site for beginners in some ways) about how to learn to use a compressor and how to learn to use a parametric equalizer.

have fun, try the search tool on these sites, and experiment. let us know how it sounds!

Don

I have one

Try some of this.....Compression ratio I use is normally set between 4:1 - 6:1 with fast attack and med (12 o'clock) release. Threshold needs to be adjusted to individual being recorded. Someone loud should be set a little higher than someone lower being recorded. But at the same time, compression does not always have to be used depending on your personal likings. I suggest you just experiment with a willing subject to find out how you want the end result to sound. Low cut should always be set. Removes low freq's from vocal recordings. Set between 100hz-150hz to keep vocals intact, but keep sub-frequencies from creeping in. Parametric EQ....Use this sparingly between 8-12khz to give vocals a little more "air" when recording. Around 1-4db of gain in that frequency range should be plenty. Understand that these are all my personal tastes that I use when recording my rap artists. Bottom line JUST EXPERIMENT...... You'll play with these settings a lot to figure out where you want to be, but the advice I gave above should give you a solid baseline to get started. Good Luck

Back