ART MPA & VLA Combo

CoolCat

I always wondered how well these two worked together.
Anyone have some time with this combo? pros and cons.....

Attachments

• art mpa vla combo.png
    art mpa vla combo.png
    687.9 KB · Views: 52
I've had mine (both) since 1996 when they were first released. They are both "Made In The USA" units. Made a lot of recordings with them. I gave the MPA to my son-in-law and had JJ Audio upgrade the VLA which I still use. Great starter units.

dang thats a helluva reliability pro comment. especially for a tube system....
1996 to 2006...2016.... update in 2026.:D

do you ever go for dirt/dist by overdriving the squash knob on the VLA? or by cranking the gain to the input of the VLA?
what Ive read it has a little grainy-tubeness but doesnt turn into a distortion box.

Im referring to vocal.

He may be referring to the original MPA and VLA. I have the II version of both compressor and preamp.

i've been wavering between which to get first, I want both. I just got a presonus 1810 so I'm leaning towards the VLA II at the moment. Trying to get a good deal but most everybody is out of them at the moment.

i've been wavering between which to get first, I want both. I just got a presonus 1810 so I'm leaning towards the VLA II at the moment. Trying to get a good deal but most everybody is out of them at the moment.

If you want to use the VLA II in your input chain, you'll need a preamp in front of it. I would buy them both together and be done with it. You won't be disappointed.

I use both exclusively myself. They work well together for my applications at least. The only issue I had was one of the VU meter lights goes in and out...I think its just loose but I haven't popped the cover to investigate. I have read others have modded theirs with other tubes but don't know if its worth it or not.

Back