ART MPA Gold

JPXTom

Does anyone have any samples with this mic pre...like a with mic pre/w.o mic pre or anything? Thanks..ive been looking at them lately to add some warmth to guitar/vocal/bass recordings.

It won't really add any warmth, if you think tube preamps do that you're somewhat incorrect. Not that some tube preamps don't add character but any preamp can add what you perceive to be "warmth". In fact some of the nicest "warmest" preamps are solid state. That being said the MPA isn't a bad pre at all. I've actually been using one quite a bit lately. What really makes this preamp nice is the variable imperdance which can drastically change the tone of the mic. If you want to hear it in action go to myspace.com/alavera It's definately not one of my better recordings and it's screamo or hardcore or whatever the fuck you wanna call it but anyway, just about everything went thru it. Snare, Kik, Vox, Amps, and DI Bass.

I just bought one, and immediately changed the tubes to JJ/Eurotubes, based on recomendations from those over at the gearslutz board. This is a widely regarded "best-bang-for-your-buck" preamp, and many of the guys over there have one racked up right next to their Manleys, API's, Neve's, and Universal Audio preamps.

Pete

It won't really add any warmth, if you think tube preamps do that you're somewhat incorrect. Not that some tube preamps don't add character but any preamp can add what you perceive to be "warmth". In fact some of the nicest "warmest" preamps are solid state. That being said the MPA isn't a bad pre at all. I've actually been using one quite a bit lately. What really makes this preamp nice is the variable imperdance which can drastically change the tone of the mic. If you want to hear it in action go to myspace.com/alavera It's definately not one of my better recordings and it's screamo or hardcore or whatever the fuck you wanna call it but anyway, just about everything went thru it. Snare, Kik, Vox, Amps, and DI Bass.

Thanks for info...what mics did u use for those too?

I have a titanium diaphragmed SE TITAN that I describe as "mic on steroids".
Incredibly quick response to say the least.
I recently connected the TITAN to my ART GOLD MPA and my ART Pro VLA leveler/compressor.
Ran the pre hard enough to impact the tube with LED signal meter showing about a 7-9.
Ran the Pro VLA at 2:1 ratio with the Threshold at about 9:30.
This combination really smoothed the TITAN out, as Lush and Warm I have ever heard it.

Back