Applying Compression - Routing Issue?

gslide

I'm using an EL8 Distressor. I've used this handy unit so far for tracking bass. There is a recorded vocal though where I'd like to apply compression with the tool.

The issue is when trying to record the vocal with the compression on the bus track I am getting a doubled vocal effect. I have isolated and played with the configurations and still am getting that doubled effect. I suspect this is a routing issue but have spun my wheels just too long and seek advice on how to correct. I am using the IO plugin (Logic Pro X).

The Distressor Input is routed to the Apogee Ensemble 7 Analog Output. The Distressor Output is routed to the Apogee Ensemble 7 Analog Input. The bus channel is 12. Thinking to try changing the IO output to Bus 12.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm not familiar with Logic per se, but one thing to remember is to turn off monitoring of the original vocal track. There is going to be some inherent latency when you send a signal out of the computer and back in again. The doubling effect that you're hearing is a result of hearing the original vocal track and the delayed vocal track that's coming back from the compressor. If you disable monitoring on the original vocal, you should only hear the one that's been sent through the compressor (assuming you're recording that to a new track).

Back