Aphex 107 vs. Art MP

Roybot

Just looking for opinions about how the Aphex 107 compares to the Art MP-1 in terms of sound quality and applications for both. I've been using the 107 for 4 years but have never used the Art MP. Thanks.

I would prefer the ART gear over the Aphex gear. WE have an a aphex 107 tube essence sitting around that I dont use, Its a wall wort for one. Some High end mics dont work with it cause you dont have the gain. It does have character and we may use it occasionally, but we prefer to use the MPA over that,ART PRO MPA. No wall wort.20 db gain button. Tube circuitry.High pass filter and phase reversal.Definately the pre amp of choice between the two. It all caomes down to budget. budget. budget. What can you spend??????

Hope this helps
Bill

[This message has been edited by LMSTUDIO (edited 06-04-2000).]

Hi. I don't know about the Aphex, but I have an Art Tube PAC, and I don't recommend the low-end ART pre-amps. The thing is....the whole point of a tube pre is to get extra warmth and richness that you might not get from a comparably priced ss pre. Well, my ART is the most sterile, dull sounding tube unit I've ever used. I wonder if the tube is actually part of the circuit. I'm not sure what you're application is, but for me, a decent s.s. pre(like the Symetrix sx202) blows the ART away, unless you purposely want to add tube overdrive....if that;s the case, use a good guitar pre-amp. :) Heck, even the pre-amps in my Alesis Studio 32 sound better than the ART.
Another problem with *my* ART is that it causes lots of high frequency noise to other units sitting next to it in a rack. None of my other gear creates such noise, including my other tube gear.
If you must try out the low-end ART pre's, at least make sure you have some kind of money-back guarantee if you don't like it.
good luck!
ps: for the record, I must admit the ART is reasonably clean and quiet, for a <$200 pre, but still dull and useless for my applications. I'll sell you my Tube PAC :)
If you want a great-sounding pre for around $200, get a used Symetrix sx202!!!!

Just to be redundent, the art units (like a lot of budget gear that sports a tube) starves the tube of voltage. The tube is a gimmic.

Back