Any way to rackmount a Focusrite 2i2 interface

DredX

I'm new to the forum, new to recording as well so I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this question.

I'd like to know if there is any way to rackmount a focusrite 2i2 interface. I'm trying to set up a portable Laptop Studio that's as portable as possible and I noticed there is a lot of rackmount bags available and I was wondering if there's any way I could mount it, into one of these bags. I would like to keep the interface in the bag, to reduce setup time. I would like to keep cables connected as much as possible, like my USB cable and monitor out cables. Another reason to mount it, is seeing as the 2i2 is so small compared to most rackmount items, that I will also get more storage behind the interface possibly, for headphones, or other accessories.

I've scoured the internet for close to 2 hours trying to find options to rackmount the smaller interfaces, doesn't seem to be any practical way to do it.

I'm also open to other options for an extremely portable and quick setup studio. Any thing capable of getting me setup and recording quickly, using the equipment I'm currently using, not looking to replace my laptop or interface. My equipment is an 18in Laptop, the 2i2, a studio mic, and studio headphones. I'd like all of it in one rack bag or bag in general as much as possible, even if it's a 2u.

Last edited:
Rack Shelf + Velcro. You might need to pop the feet off to make it really bomber.. but it WILL be.
You could use heavy duty double-sided tape if you wanted, as well.

Odyssey_Innovative_Designs_ARS1_ARS1_1U_Accessory_Rack_528654.jpg
+
velcro_tape_3.jpg

Camn Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually thinking that was going to be my only option.
I wanted to make sure, I didn't overlook a rackmount attachment or something, or possibly another bag option that would still meet my needs.
I guess you still answered my question though. Thanks for clearing up the uncertainty.

Its actually the BEST option!
Cheap, flexible, secure and reversible. You might need some goo-gone if you pull the velcro off, but it will come off clean.
And rack ears or whatever would certainly scratch the finish more than this.. if they existed. :)

You could also coat the whole shelf with velcro.. and stick anything you want in there. A sharpie. Microphones. A hip Flask. Whatever you want..

Velcro? Yes but, if the AI has a serial number on its base make sure you don't cover it. I got pissed off with people doing that to pedals.

Technically I could have refused a warranty repair or even claimed the pedal was nicked! You can get 'industrial' strength Velcro but even the best stuff will ooze and drop off when even mildly hot.

Dave.

I often use velcro which is the best option.

Another option is some blobs of clear silastic on the feet. Just peel it off if you ever move it? Don't use too much or you wont be able to move it LOL. I got the idea when I saw a plumber glueing down a shower base with silastic.

Alan.

Some gear have threaded screw holes on the bottom of the unit to allow for screwing the unit to a rack tray from underneath, e.g., Speck MicPre 5.0. Absent that, the velcro method works well, however, the height of unit velcroed to a tray will be slightly higher than one rack unit, so you may have to leave an empty space above in your rack.

The pic below is one of the units I use the most for remote recording. It is a simple 12 unit desk mount rack unit. ($69.00) You can go to any local metal shop to have a custom plate made to fit your interface. ($15.00 to $20.00). I only have to unplug one power cord and one USB cord and roll out. When I arrive, I plug into power as well as run the USB cord into my Laptop, run my snake and drive on.

View attachment 100709

Back