Any users of Lexicon MX200 out there? rack gone rogue and awol.

coil

Any users of Lexicon MX200 out there?

I've had this unit for over 6 years and used it only in live situations, recordings and such. Haven't given it much use, but I always know its there for when I need it.

Two days ago when I turned it on for a live thing from my house, the auditions button started blinks fast, and every 8 or so seconds the number 1.4 appears in the user program screen, then back to black, then 8 secs later on the same number appears, and so on.

And those are the only buttons and screen that flash, all the other lights remain off. (the mx200 has lots of lights)

I tried reseting it from the unit, reseting it via USB, and doing a firmware upgrade. None of them worked.

Does anybody has had the same issue or has a clue of what may be? Thanks.

Can't find anything by googling error codes and manuals have nothing. Options - email Lexicon and see if they know or can refer you to their service center. It's not an expensive unit so it may be cheaper to just replace it than shipping/repair costs. Well worth replacing - did you have any custom presets?

Yes, I had a couple of presets, simple ones, but very useful, specially for vocals; pitching up/down, dub style delays, reverbs, all in one preset, which was the one I was about to use when I found out that it was giving me this weird blinking.

When I installed the MX Editor and tried to retrieve my presets, it didn't recognise it. Then when I tried to upgrade the firmware, it said that no device was connected.

It is fairly a cheap but very useful device, but the economy where I'm at the moment has them like 4 or 6 times their price, so I gotta see if I can fix my MX.

Thanks for going thru the manual and google, I did too, and couldn't find anything neither.

I'll try emailing Lexicon, but my warranty is long overdue. There where a couple of black outs and like electricity peaks in my building, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't using it when that happen, and everything was off. And I have it connected to a rack powering system that has a fuse. It is a 220V powered unit (Bought in Europe), and I have the powering rack connected to a 120V-220V converter, where the fuse is. All my other racks connected to that powering unit are working perfectly.

I hope Lexicon can give me a fix answer and not that it burned out or that it needs repair. Im guessing from my experience with digital units that a has chip blown out, I hope that it isn't.

I read only one thread about the MX's having an internal battery, clock type batteries, but couldn't find any more info on that, neither in the specs in the product homepage. By any chance do you know if the MX's carry clock type batteries?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks so much Mark. I read that option in another thread but wasn't specified which type of cables and which and which not to unplug. Neither what they looked like. Thanks for help. I'll try reseting it the cable way probably this week, I got some other music stuff to attend, and then I'll post the result here, with some pictures. Thanks Mark!

I will bet it has a battery that has gone dead. I think I have the same unit in my rack I have not used in years. I guess I will find out if it still works sooner or later.

Ok, so I unmounted the MX from the rack and placed it on a table with a towel and some tools.

The screws were a pain in the ass, I tried with a few screw drivers, star points, flat ones, and couldn't even move 'em a little bit. It had some floyd rose type of "screws" on the front.

Before ruining the screws I decided to let it go, and hit the MX very lightly (It always works, and not in the blow-in-the-nintendo-cartridge kind of way.) Went back to the home studio, plugged it and it worked. Happy as can be.

So if your MX200 is blinking permanently and not working, take it out of the rack and tap it gently, give it a couple of light hits and plug it back in. Thats how I fixed mine. Thanks for the help responses on this thread.

Back