Any preamp suggestion? Between 800$ and 1700$

Colwarter

I am looking for a good preamp for drums, guitar, bass and vocals. It can have one or two channel. I don't want a channel strip, just a preamp. Right now I'm considering the Universal Audio SOLO/610 (one preamp unit) and the Neve Portico 5012 (2 preamps unit). How do you compare those preamps? Is one preamp of the Neve better than the Universal audio? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you very much. Alex

Thanks for the reply, it is very appreciated. The great river is a little bit expensive but thanks I will check it out. I love the Avalons, but I don't need EQ or compression, I just need a good preamp (or two). Did any of you guys ever tried the Universal Audio or the Neve? Thanks!

If you love the Avalon, then you will REALLY love the Universal Audio or the Neve. Personally, I would go with the Neve if it is going to be your primary go to preamp. I like the Universal Audio, but it has a very distinct characteristic that I do not find versatile as a primary preamp. Have you considered the single channel 610(?) preamp instead of the "solo"?

Back