another pre amp

My go-to signal chain for voice and acoustic is a BlueBird into an Art MPA Gold. I like it. I have replaced the tubes with JJ/Eurotubes, and it indeed made a considerable difference. Local dealer had the tubes for $9 each.

Pete

ahh, well this is good news.

interesting that someone else already has and is using what i want to get.

and i already knew that before i even tried to record anything that i would change the tubes.

the MPA gold is a pretty good pre, especially for the price. not only does it sound better than most units in its price range, but offers a lot more in the way of features/flexibility

the tubes seem to take the edge off the crispness you'd get from a straight fast opamp pre like the Sytek

i noticed that can be the case a lot of the time, but i've also been able to get a cleaner sound of it by keeping the input gain down(especially staying away from that +20db boost) and cranking the solid state output.

i noticed that can be the case a lot of the time, but i've also been able to get a cleaner sound of it by keeping the input gain down(especially staying away from that +20db boost) and cranking the solid state output.

C'mon man, turn on the boost! You know you wanna! Keep that VU meter in the red :D

90% of the time, that button is in...almost because they don't give you much of a choice

but there doesn't seem to be a way to keep the input LED's from hitting red unless you turn that damn switch off...

i can't belive this amp doesn't get as much prop as it does, it doesn't sound bad and it has alot of feature and it's modable.

Back