Another naive question, this time on the ART Tube MP.

Fmmahoganyrush

Pleads the 5th...
OK, I see alot of mud being slung around here regarding the ART Tube MP. Things like "It's a box with a little light in it as opposed to a Real Tube, etc... Does it do anything more than if I were to simply plug my mic int my Mackie, which is supposed to have wonderful pre's? Why does it suck and in comparison to what? Again... ...I Got's to Know! Tom

Some of you must be reading different BBS's than I am....i see alot of people here that love the Art....of course there are some that dont like it......as with any gear, ou will find that there is no piece of gear that everybody likes.....

in a home studio situation, the Art is a lifesaver...some pros even reach for it.....

I've got an ART MP and I like it.

To answer your question, I think that most complaints about the MP are based on the overhyped marketing shenanigans of a lot of companies that claim that anything with a tube in it sounds better than solid state gear. Also, the total gearheads will tell you that not much voltage hits the tube so it doesn't really do anything to the sound, which harkens back to the marketing thing. Why put a tube in something if it doesn't do anything?...I don't know.

Another thing that people seem to complain about is the quality control on cheaper products. The product isn't consistent from unit to unit and so forth. I bought an ART MP and after 2 weeks it stopped working. The lights came on for a few seconds and then they faded out. I called ART and sent it to them for them to check out and they said that my power supply plugin cable was faulty. They sent me a new unit though. Different pre and different plugin both.

If you've got a Mackie and like the sound of it, then stick with the Mackie pres. The ART just gives you a slightly different flavor...as any other preamp would.

Hope I helped.

Are you talking about the ART PRO MPA?
That's the one I have and I like pretty well. It was my second mic pre, I forget what the first one I had was... an audio buddy, piece of crap I think. Anyway, I think the ART PRO MPA is a really good entry-level mic pre. I'm looking for a new one though. I have about $1100-$1200 dollars to spend. Must have 2 channels. Any sugestions?
(Sorry, I didn't mean to step on your thread)

Dont know about the Art Pro MPA but I have an Audio Buddy and an Art Tube MP.I think the Art is the piece of shit.If you want something to muddy up the sound(not what I call warmth) get the Art Tube MP.If you want to record what you hear get the Audio Buddy,quiet and transparent.Hey but if you like hearing things as through a wet blanket the Art's your ticket.

Without reading all the more informed posts, I offer this:
Two years ago I bought a behringer 1602 mixer. The sounds were "scratchy", and if you can relate, "transistor radioish".
I dumped the mixer and bought an ART tubeMP and recorded direct into my computer. The sound was nice. Warmer. A more blended sound if you will.
Now, I can't compare Mackie pres to ART's, but the difference 'tween the behringer and the ART were overwhelmingly cleaner and pleasant.

Come on Musician's Friend, I've never won anything in my life! Where's my Mackie?! :cool:

To be fair I think that the Tube MP did sound better than the onboard pre's on my old recorder.I do think of the MP as more of an effect than a mic preamp though,it definately colors the sound(to me not in a good way,but to each their own).I do think that the Audio Buddy is a much better deal however as you can record clean then add effects after.Not to mention it is two channels instead of one.And it sounds so much cleaner...By the way,Ive never won anything either,so come on M<usicians Friend!!!

I had an Audio Buddy once. It burned up in the very first recording session I did. Ticked me off, so I took it back and bought the ART PRO MPA. So, being burned by Audio Buddy once, I'm not real fond of them.

Most of the things I have heard and experience with the Art MP's have been positive. It's a great product with a lot of value.

Back