Analog jacks&cords vs. 1/4 inch. jacks&cords

RCAGuy05

i think I may have posted this before but I know have more info.
I'm gonna run a DMP3 pre into the line in RCA analog jack on a Soundcraft Notepad mixer. Willing running the pre into an analog jack yield less signal/not as noiseless as I would running the pre into 1/4 jack?? Its a short run yet I keep hearing around that RCA analog cables only carry -10 decibels as opposed to 1/4 jacksthat carry +4 decibels. Am I misunderstanding something here? I don't want to have a weaker/noisier signal.

According to accepted practice, you would want to go to a 1/4 inch +4 input, for the noise reasons you stated. The RCA ins may distort before you get the DMP3 ouput hot enough to get the best S/N ratio. Try it and see if you notice a difference.

1/4" can be +4dB OR -10dB. Just because something is 1/4" doesn't automatically determine the level that it operates at. It depends on the electronics inside of the box that determines the level, not the connecter itself. 1/4" is still analog, as well. Just as easychair said, I would go with 1/4" if you can at all.

1/4" and RCA are just 2 wires running into a metal shell.

There is NO difference just cause the shape is different.

Wow lot of different answers. I'll be using the Soundcraft Notepad so I'll email Soundcraft and see if they're rca ins are -10 or +4. Thanks for the info. anybody know if the Soundcraft Notepads rca jacks are any bit of a hinderance is that respect? If not thats cool thanks.

Back