Ampex Mx-35

rcktdg

A friend of mine just dropped some old tube gear at my studio for me to find a use for. One is some kind of Expaner modded to be a compressor. Seems to make more noise than anything.

The other is an Ampex Mx35 4x2 mixer. Anyone know anything about them. He said the output is wired in a non-standard configuration. He didn't know much more than that. It's in good condition.

I found a little on the internet but nothing definative. Some websights are selling these for quite a bit of money in some cases.

I would like to fire it up but the pin out is keeping me from getting started. Any ideas?

Cheers, RD

If there is not much known about this then does anyone know about replacing input tranformers? Not the job but the results. Some of the info I've found seems to suggest changing them to Jensens. I don't remember the exact model but it's out there.

Does anyone know anything about this. I tried the mixer last night and it seems warmer than the pre's in my board. Maybe a bit fuller too. I will record with them sunday and see what it sounds like.

There are four pre's but only two busses. I would love to get individual output for each. I've got the schematic so I might be able to get that happening if they sound interesting enough.

What about output transformers. Woud that do anything for me. I've got a hook up for getting stuff like that locally so multiple peices might help the pricing.

Cheers, RD

Back