Amp simulater effects

raindrops

Ive seen the boss VF 1 and it looks fantastic, i havent seen much on the net about it though and i was wondering whether someone has both the boss and a pod or similar and could copmare them for me. I have limited cash but i can stretch to the boss, just. I mainly want amp and speaker simulation but the extra effects on the boss would be nice aswell.
Also is there currently a PC software editor for it, i havent heard of one, im sure someone is making one somewhere.
ok thanks

I was trying out a POD, and yes, it LOOKS fantastic. But sounds? I wasn't impressed, and this was basically due to the speaker emulation. I tried another box too, I think it was the Boss, but I'm not sure.
To me, all speaker emulation seems pretty much useless. I think my fuzz boz direct lined sounds just as good as POD direct lined. Sure, the POD obviously has more possibilities in the fuzz area, and also has filters and stuff like that, but I have yet to find any speaker emulation that to make actually makes any useful difference.
To me, lineing a guitar sounds like you have a lined guitar, no matter what speaker emulation there is. They all suck.

Thats my 2 cents. [Putting on my flameprotection device].

[Flameprotection ON]

I tried them both, the vf-1 is the identical circuit found in the vs recording machines and the BR-8. My opinion is that the pod sounds better if you are looking for vintage sounds. It all depends on what sounds you are after, first you identify what you want, then you go out and try things, this way you wont get lost in the tons of processors availiable.

There are reviews for both on:
http://www.harmony-central.com

[This message has been edited by Animaniac (edited 07-17-2000).]

Have you thought of using Cakewalk AmpSim ?
It's a Direct-X plugin, part of the FX2 collection, I think

Cheap(er) and actually quite good

Thank you all for your replies, i never expect people to use their time answer me questions. Anyway, i would like a nice distorted metal sound from my guitar which is just a squire strat. I am not comparing the sounds from the boss, pod etc to a real miced tube amp cause at the moment the only distortion i get is on my small mixer or using cubase vst free plugins which sound pretty shit, so anything is a step up really for me.
I dont want to really tie my processor up with effects cause it is alreay used for recording 8 tracks on my soundcard and i would need it in realtime. I would also like it to be a portable hardware device so i can use it elsewhere.
i have read some reader comments somewhere about the net and people have had the opinion that the boss, quote "kicks the pods little red ass!". So at the moment the boss seems to fit my requirments best, but i am open to suggestion and opinion.
And i was wondering how accurate the bosses simulations of their distortion and overdrive stomp box pedals actually are cause the ones i have tryed sound pretty good.

nubius - do you know any places where they stock the pod and the boss to try them in the bath/bristol area of england.

Thank you again

Back