AMP/PA/Speaker compatibility

Nateneal1966

I have a mackie 1402 vlz mixer, mackie 1400i amp and some old 1990 jbl speakers which have a 15" and a horn.

After i got the system set up in the basement it wasn't nearly as loud as i thought it would be.
i have the 1400i set on stereo and 300 amps. 3/4 of the way turned up and its not nearly as loud as i would have thought.

My question is....Would larger or newer speakers sound louder. I am happy with the sound quality but cant really crank the amp and keep the vocals going.

Also... setting the amp on mono gives 600 amps. if i run the two speakers together...the speakers have an ext out on the back to run a few in line? would this make it any louder. the speaker rating is only 250...so i haven't tried any other configuration.

First of all you mean watts, not amps.

Check the impedance rating of the JBLs. If they are 8 or 16 ohm, then you can add more speakers to each channel to get more volume.

Also check that the levels on the mixer are hot, otherwise the amp is only generating a fraction of its potential power.

Any working JBL 15/horn cabinets and a 1400i should be very loud. You may want to check your mixer settings to be sure your gain levels are correct.

Ed

So full power on the amp and control volume from the mixing board...is this typical set up for live gigs?
I have built in preamps on the mixer which is great. Since i am in a small basement room i get pretty good feedback if i crank the gain up too much.

I guess i thought it would be a lot louder..like window shaking. my 15 watt fender blues amp cranks louder

Back