American Musical Supply Payment plan?

im not positive but i think AMS may be worse. check out zz sounds and also Same day music i think there all the same company. looks kinda funky. musicians friend just got me bad. i ordered a master link and some cd-s and got smashed open box crap when i ordered new stuff. they just threw the stuff in a box. it went back the same day they suck too!

I use the AMS payment plan all of the time. I just bought a Tascam FW1884 for $1000.00 from them w/ five payment of $200.00.

Its a cool way to get gear and makes my wife happy when I say I only spent 200.00 this month on gear instead of $1000.00

DJL said:
Don't get me wrong, it's ok... but, I think it's best application is live/amp, because IMO there are better boxes for recording.

Well, yea. It just makes an amp sound that much better, for rock anyway. I think it's an awesome DI for heavy music. :)

Confused

Please help my confusion here, guys. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.

According to their catalog and website, the payment plan only works if you place an order with a credit card. So, without one, you can't use the payment plan. Also, if you're using a credit card, how do they get away with saying there's no interest charges? Isn't that the issuing banks prerogative? Maybe AMS doesn't charge interest, but you're using your credit card, so it's no skin off their noses. The idea of payments is a good idea, but that's what you're doing with a credit card anyway...isn't it?

So...what am I missing? It seems like most of you are happy with this plan (as I would be), but apparently I'm not understanding it correctly. I wanna play! I could use some new gear too!

If you put that total on your credit card and paid it off over the 3 or 6 months, you would also be paying the additional intrest your credit card adds. Using their plan, you can pay the payment off each month and have no intrest.

Also, you can use a debit card to do the plan, so you don't have to have the full amount in your bank account at time of purchase. I'd guess this is the majority of the use of the plan anyways.

H2H

You are correct.

That's right. I use my check card for the payment plan at AMS. Works the same way.

Now, I need to start a thread asking how many people would pay the 158 dollars right now for the first payment on an FMR RNP preamp. The tech I talked to said if they knew enough people would buy, they would contact the companies that make the products and request to carry them.

I'll just ask it here.

How many folks would pay the 158 on their check card or credit card today if you could have the RNP shipped out to you right now, and then you would pay the other two 158 dollars payments the following two months. If enough of us answer that they would, I will call the tech back and send him to this thread. I know I would pay the 158 today, asap. I also saw someone else in this thread say they would too, so that's two of us. Anyone else? I know we could use any product that they don't carry, but the RnP is as popular a unit as any right now. If this works, we can do this for any product. Could we do this with a poll on the forum or something?

Jeff

Hard2Hear said:
If you put that total on your credit card and paid it off over the 3 or 6 months, you would also be paying the additional intrest your credit card adds. Using their plan, you can pay the payment off each month and have no intrest.

Also, you can use a debit card to do the plan, so you don't have to have the full amount in your bank account at time of purchase. I'd guess this is the majority of the use of the plan anyways.

H2H

Both Musician's Friend and Sweetwater have their own payment plans as well. You definitely pay more for the gear though than you would from the other places that do not offer payment plans. For items $300 or less I usual go to the other places and save an extra 10-15%. On the larger purchases, ($400 ->) you can't beat the payment plan.

You have to have credit to get their plan.

The whole point of this thread is that the payment plan with AMS is NO CREDIT CHECK, 1/3 down and they ship your item right out. Niether MF or Sweets has anything like that.

Jeff

Lambo said:
Both Musician's Friend and Sweetwater have their own payment plans as well. You definitely pay more for the gear though than you would from the other places that do not offer payment plans. For items $300 or less I usual go to the other places and save an extra 10-15%. On the larger purchases, ($400 ->) you can't beat the payment plan.

jeff0633 said:
Now, I need to start a thread asking how many people would pay the 158 dollars right now for the first payment on an FMR RNP preamp. The tech I talked to said if they knew enough people would buy, they would contact the companies that make the products and request to carry them.

I'll just ask it here.

How many folks would pay the 158 on their check card or credit card today if you could have the RNP shipped out to you right now, and then you would pay the other two 158 dollars payments the following two months. If enough of us answer that they would, I will call the tech back and send him to this thread. I know I would pay the 158 today, asap. I also saw someone else in this thread say they would too, so that's two of us. Anyone else? I know we could use any product that they don't carry, but the RnP is as popular a unit as any right now. If this works, we can do this for any product. Could we do this with a poll on the forum or something?

Jeff
I would.
I decided I was finally going to purchase a RNC this past week, I went right to AMS for the purchase (RNC+some stuff to total the minimum for payment plans) and I was very much ready to add a RNP to the total as well. But AMS doesn't care the RNC or the RNP.

I need more pre-amps, I'm pretty damn sure if AMS had the RNP in it's inventory I'll probably be all over it within next weeks time. And if they could get the RNC/RNP rack-tray that'd be on the check-out as well.

I like AMS, and have used their payment plan a bit. It is great. And I think their prices are often competitive. Sometimes, they seem to have the better price on some things. I also shop other sites (zzounds, sweetwater, bayview pro audio, musician's friend, sam ash, etc...), so I have a pretty good idea what the going price is for gear I want.

I also want the RNC & RNP, and I am sending a request to AMS right now.

MrBoogie

can we get a payment plan on the great river and phoenix audio while we are at it! also the disstressor too

On page 61 of my most current AMS catalog, they got the EL8 distressor with the payment plan. Apparently, there's 2 different versions.

So......... you gonna go get it? :D

Don't see the other 2 items.

MrBoogie

That's 4 people that would order now. Keep them coming.

Keep the orders coming guys. I will have the aMS tech read this thred when we get a few more. If we can assure them of about $3000 in sales up front that might be enough to get them on the phone with FMR audio. I think that would be around 7 units, and I think we have four already.

Jeff

I've spent a lot of money at AMS over the past year and a half, and virtually all my purchases have been on the payment plan. The plan is sweet, and absolutely the best way to buy gear, so long as they carry the item. They of course don't pricematch B-stock or 'used', only new - and I've never had an issue/problem with getting any of the gear I've purchased pricematched (and we're talking probably over $20k in gear). A semi-local music store has great prices on just about everything, and AMS has always pricematched every item I've inquired about, from the HD24, to the Tascam 24DM, to the Yamaha Motif ES6, to the Taylor 314CE.

The one issue I've had with AMS and the Payment plan is when I return any items. Since I'm in the sticks, I have no music store where I can try out every new item I'd like beforehand, so I've returned some of the items I've purchased. It's tough to keep track of your transactions when you're paying for something over 3-5 months, and return 1 item out of 3 or 4 purchased. Not to mention you have 4 other similar transactions happening as well from previous purchases (multiple items purchased, you make the initial 1/3 payment, then 30 days later return one of the items). I know for a fact I've lost some money, but though I emailed them about it I never heard back, nor was my card ever credited for the amount I was shorted.

My other problem with AMS is their shipping and lack of responding to customer requests. AMS offers UPS and Fed Ex shipping. I HATE FED EX with a passion. Standard UPS delivery from AMS to my door is next day, if ordered before 4pm. That's standard ground. Fed Ex ground? 3-5 days, minimum. I've been told by Fed Ex personnel that they either 1) forgot to load it on their truck in the am, or 2) were too busy to deliver it. So AMS has it noted on my account (according to them) to ship UPS. Plus with every order I manually request - 'Notify warehouse to ship UPS only!', yet the last 3 or 5 orders all got shipped out Fed Ex. You'd think a non-business customer that spends $20,000+ in one year at your business could get his packages shipped the way he wanted, especially since it's an option you provide. Apparently not. After it kept happening, though I'd call and email about it - I stopped ordering from them.

I'll still look to them the next time I need to make another large dollar purchase, simply because of the Payment Plan - but I'll be looking to some other stores in the meantime.

-Krag

I agree, I hate Fedx. They are late on about 50 percent of everything they ship to me. It's stunning what has happened to that company.
I still love AMS, however.

Jeff

Back