Alesis Studio 24 - Patchbay

k bucks

Hello,

I am hooking my Alesis Studio 24 to a patchbay. I've pretty much got everything routed the why I like it (with the mics going directly into preamps into patchbay, as well as compressors arranged for patching) , but I'm not quite sure which input to use on the Alesis mixer. I guess my options are the direct ins on the very back, the line ins on the top or the mic inputs on the top. One engineer (regarding my Tascam 388) suggested that I use the line ins because it eliminates an unnecessary gain stage. I'd like to get the strongest, purest sound I can going into the mixer and out the direct outs in my Delta 1010. As far as I know, both the line ins and mic inputs go through the mixer trim. Is there a big difference between using a balanced TRS into a line in or xlr into the mic input? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin

I'm a bit confused...are you using the mixer's built-in preamps, or external preamps into the patch bay? And is the purpose of the patchbay basically for greater ease of patching in external compressors?

I have the Studio 24 and yes, the line and the mic inputs both go through the gain stage. Unfortunately there is no way to patch in an external source, keep it balanced, and also avoid going through the onboard preamp.

Back